Mailing List Archive

problem with badmailfrom!
Raul Miller <rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu> writes:

>I just ran into a terribly silly mail loop where each instance of the
>loop was a fresh message.
>
>I took a look at it, noticed that each instance of the loop was from
>the same bogus user and decided I could stop it using badmailfrom.
>
>Unfortunately, that didn't work. As a result, I've had to switch back
>to sendmail (which has the same problem, but is so much slower I can
>manually wipe out the bogus messages before they get too big).

You didn't say whether you looked at the envelope sender address
or the From: address of the messages.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

badmailfrom only works for envelope sender addresses,
and then only on messages received via SMTP by qmail-smtpd.

If the "mail loop" was sending messages via qmail-inject, then
badmailfrom won't stop it. If the messages are coming in via
SMTP, but each has a different envelope sender address, you won't
be able to add addresses to badmailfrom fast enough to block them.
And finally, badmailfrom won't block anything if you put the wrong
address in it.

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive