Mailing List Archive

Re: Features (slightly offtopic) (Re: Rejecting large messages)
Olaf Titz sez:
-----
I strongly disagree with "Optimization: Don't do it". This is the mind-set that has led to Windows 95 sucking up the bigger part of the processing power of a P100 and needing 24MB for tasks that run perfectly on my pathetic 386 with 8MB, with a news server in the background.
<clipped>
...gross kluge like the one I use now. I also think the "from broken clients" item from the FAQ falls into this category; it could be done much more elegantly.
----
Uh.... Windows 95 also required a bunch of "Design: Don't do it"
...and "Kluges: Pile 'em on!" and "all the market will bear".

I agree that the FAQ could break it to them more gently. ;-)

Randy