Mailing List Archive

NUL in address
While reading RFC 821 I discovered that the <local-part> of a mail address
can indeed contain _any_ of the 128 ASCII characters, presumably including
NUL (provided of course that it is properly escaped with a backslash).

Does there actually exist any MTA that supports this? I suspect qmail
doesn't, but I haven't read the source carefully enough to prove it. That
no local mailbox can have a NUL in its name is irrelevant to my question,
of course. But you could imagine such mailboxes being used somewhere
else, and then the question whether messages to such an address can be
successfully relayed arises.

(This just an idle question, sort of. Definitely not something I am
planning to get worked up over, just a point of some potential amusement.)

- Harald