Shouldn't it only give that if the connecting server sends a "ehelo"?

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.
Re: helo/ehelo [ In reply to ]
On 3 Mar 97 at 10:37, Dax Kelson wrote:
> Why does Qmail give the same response everytime to "helo/ehelo".
>
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250 8BITMIME
>
> Shouldn't it only give that if the connecting server sends a "ehelo"?

Well, ESMTP needs it and SMTP doesn't care.

I would imagine Dan didn't waste extra code space in checking for
either mode of operation when it doesn't gain anything at all for MTA
operation.

C.
Re: helo/ehelo [ In reply to ]
On 3 Mar, Chuck Foster wrote:
> On 3 Mar 97 at 10:37, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > Why does Qmail give the same response everytime to "helo/ehelo".
> >
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250 8BITMIME
> >
> > Shouldn't it only give that if the connecting server sends a "ehelo"?
>
> Well, ESMTP needs it and SMTP doesn't care.

Bzzzzzzzt! Try again :-).

I remember when ESMTP support was first added to sendmail, Eric tried
that too. Unfortunately it broke a few broken (M$-based of course!)
MTAs.

I think you'll find that when qmail is used by more sites, that it'll
start "failing" against some MTAs due to it's multi-lined returns to
HELO.

It certainly isn't qmail's fault - but which is easier to alter?

[I still wish qmail supported ESMTP SIZE ]

--
Jason Haar, Unix/Internet Support, Trimble Navigation New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 3391517 Fax: +64 3 3391417