bounce it back to the sender? Should I use something else? Info greatly
appreciated.

---Jim
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
> How do I use maildirbounce to
> bounce it back to the sender?

It's as simple as this.

maildir2smtp ... |maildirbounce

You'll need serialmail-0.51. For serious use, you might also want to
look at my "unofficial patch", which you can get from

ftp://ftp.pipex.net/pipex/mail/smupup-1.2

It fixes a few deficiencies and niggles; details in the patch.

Tim.
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Tim Goodwin wrote:

> It's as simple as this.
>
> maildir2smtp ... |maildirbounce

Well, I tried that and it still didn't remove it, does it have to sit in
there for some length of time?. I am using 0.51, I'll take a look at your
patch, too.

[...]
> Tim.

---Jim
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
Well, in reading through the comments in Tim's patch, I figured
out that my problem was that qmail-queue wasn't in the PATH of
maildirbounce. Once I fixed that, it worked like a charm. Sigh... Was
that documented somewhere? I couldn't find it (though I guess it makes
sense). Could that info be put in the man page?

---Jim
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
Jim Clausing <jac@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Well, in reading through the comments in Tim's patch, I figured
>out that my problem was that qmail-queue wasn't in the PATH of
>maildirbounce. Once I fixed that, it worked like a charm. Sigh... Was
>that documented somewhere? I couldn't find it (though I guess it makes
>sense). Could that info be put in the man page?

The source code indicates it would send "maildirbounce: fatal: unable
to invoke qmail-queue" to stderr. Didn't it do that?

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
> The source code indicates it would send "maildirbounce: fatal: unable
> to invoke qmail-queue" to stderr. Didn't it do that?

No; it dies silently. This is why my patch updates the documentation.

maildirbounce will report "unable to invoke" if the fork() fails, but
the child has no easy way to tell the parent if the subsequent exec()
fails.

I didn't look into it in detail once I'd worked out I needed to change
PATH, but I think maildirbounce dies of a SIGPIPE before it has a chance
to notice that anything's gone wrong. maildirbounce should probably call
sig_pipeignore().

By the way, there is a serialmail list. I've set `Reply-To:' there.

Tim.
Re: maildir2smtp & maildirbounce question [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Greg Andrews wrote:

> The source code indicates it would send "maildirbounce: fatal: unable
> to invoke qmail-queue" to stderr. Didn't it do that?
>
> -Greg

Nope, not a word, it just silently failed to remove the message in
question.

---Jim