Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau
http://www.synapse.net/ * Synapse Internet
Re: VERP [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Did you create list-default, or list-owner-default? VERP causes the envelope
> sender to be list-owner-user=example.com.

That was all OK.

The problem is that if qmail-inject is invoked with -fsender, VERP is
disabled. You ahve to do

QMAILSUSER=list-owner QMAILSHOST=my.host.dom QMAILINJECT=r /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

What I'm thinking of doing is change the majordomo config to not add
"@$whereami" to $sender automatically, and then change my mailer to:

env - QMAILSUSER=\$sender QMAILSHOST=$whereami ... qmail-inject

Evan
Re: VERP [ In reply to ]
At 11:44 AM 2/18/97 -0500, Evan Champion wrote:
>I'm trying to get qmail to VERP outgoing mail for my mailing lists,
>running Majordomo.
>
>The outgoing alias is in ~alias. I created -owner and -default .qmail's
>for the outgoing alias. It didn't work.

Did you create list-default, or list-owner-default? VERP causes the envelope
sender to be list-owner-user=example.com.
-russ
Re: VERP [ In reply to ]
> I'm trying to get qmail to VERP outgoing mail for my mailing lists,
> running Majordomo.

Use list-owner-@host-@[] for the envelope sender. See addresses.0.

---Dan
Put an end to unauthorized mail relaying. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html
Re: VERP [ In reply to ]
On 19 Feb 1997, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> Use list-owner-@host-@[] for the envelope sender. See addresses.0.

Boy, that is a lot easier :-)

It doesn't quite work in that at delivery time you only have access to
$sender, and sentting the address to $sender-@[] misses a "-" in the
return path (it comes out as majordomo-ownerevanc=synapse.net@synapse.net).

There are a lot of places in majordomo that need to be tweaked in order
to have it set the right sender, and some things depend on others (ie:
$sender uses the same variable as the one printed in
help/subscription/etc. messages, and you don't want the user to see an
address with -@[] at the end).

Evan
Re: VERP [ In reply to ]
Andi Gutmans writes:

> I'm still not sure how to use it. I have a mailing list that uses
> smartlist. Now let's just fix the part that it actually "sends" the mail
> with VERP headers. If in ~list I have .qmail-mylist and
> .qmail-mylist-request which contain | /home/list/.bin/flist mylist and
> mylist-request respectively how do I tell it to fix outgoing headers? I
> touch .~list/.qmail-mylist-owner and ~list/.qmail-mylist-owner-default or
> does this only work with qlist?

It's qmail-alias that implements VERP, not qlist. Yes, you touch
those files.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok