Mailing List Archive

Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2
Hi folks,

about one year ago, we had the discussion here 'Re: Am I irretrievably
out to lunch here?' about using Binc IMAP.

In the mean time, I contacted Andreas Hanssen and he gave me permission
to care about it ;-)

Now, Binc IMAP 2.0.10 is ready for beta testing and I'm looking forward
for volunteers to test it.

Some cornerstones:

- Binc IMAP 2.0 is based on Binc IMAP 1.3.4.
- The C++ core has been left untouched, however cleaned up and
debugged.
- Binc IMAP 2.0 thus DOES NOT depend on my fehQlibs.
- Binc IMAP 2.0 is forseen to run under Daemontools or other
supervision services like runit.
- Binc IMAP works with ucspi-tcp(6) and ucspi-ssl (IMAPS).
- Binc IMAP 2.0 conforms to the /slashpackage installation.
- A authentication script 'checkpassword.pl' comes with it, but
checkvpw or vchkpw will work as well.
- In s/qmail 4.3 there will be a seamless integration for qmail-
authuser.

Here, I use it flawlessly under Debian and FreeBSD, in particular
together with Evolution and Charles' getmail.

While I was using Doevot on my FreeBSD before, I can't see a
significant performance difference among both.

Anybody helping me to give the baby birth is welcome.

Regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
PGP key-id: 20FD6E671A94DC1E
Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:19:31 +0200:

> Now, Binc IMAP 2.0.10 is ready for beta testing and I'm looking
> forward for volunteers to test it.

I'll start testing it out when I get a moment. Also, I see that you
Cc'ed one of my temporary email addresses, you probably got a bounce
message because it was expired:

$ date -r 1666924913
Thu Oct 27 20:41:53 MDT 2022

I use timestamped addresses on public mailing lists that generally are
good for short responses, but for something that's almost a year ago,
not so much. Hopefully not too inconvient. Fortunately, ezmlm mailing
lists make it quite convenient for this kind of email technique.
Fortunately I'm subscribed, so I got the list email.

Thanks,

Andy
Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> wrote:

> Now, Binc IMAP 2.0.10 is ready for beta testing and I'm looking forward
> for volunteers to test it.

Congratulations! I'm sure the community will appreciate your new maintenance
and development.

> Here, I use it flawlessly under Debian and FreeBSD, in particular
> together with Evolution and Charles' getmail.

Am I really one-name-famous like Sting or Cher? :)

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/
Read http://pyropus.ca/personal/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html
Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Who is Sting or Cher? But, I think it is safe to say that we all know
Charles and DJB and Erwin here. Even Wiestse...

Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> wrote:
> >
> > Now, Binc IMAP 2.0.10 is ready for beta testing and I'm looking forward
> > for volunteers to test it.
>
> Congratulations! I'm sure the community will appreciate your new maintenance
> and development.
>
> > Here, I use it flawlessly under Debian and FreeBSD, in particular
> > together with Evolution and Charles' getmail.
>
> Am I really one-name-famous like Sting or Cher? :)

If the context of the conversation has already been set to
qmail, yes.

-dsr-
Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
On 30 Aug 2023, at 12:19, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:

> about one year ago, we had the discussion here 'Re: Am I irretrievably
> out to lunch here?' about using Binc IMAP.
>
> In the mean time, I contacted Andreas Hanssen and he gave me
> permission
> to care about it ;-)
>
> Now, Binc IMAP 2.0.10 is ready for beta testing and I'm looking
> forward
> for volunteers to test it.

I've never run it but have long been curious. Thank you for bringing it
back to life.

Will the code be developed in a public-readable repository? Being able
to review individual changes and/or bisect bugs myself is a big factor,
for me, in what makes software worthy of being relied on in production.
Probably not only for me.

Another big factor in production-worthiness, for me and likely others,
is collaborative development: the process of coming to consensus, the
possibility that I'm not the only one reviewing changes, etc. Do you
have plans for incorporating others into the Binc IMAP revival, and/or
would you be open to this? (Says the guy who hasn't had round suits for
notqmail in far too long -- currently trying to fix this.)

To be clear, I'm happy to see your efforts here, as elsewhere, as
always. Just trying to decide how excited I'm personally willing to get,
and hoping it can be more rather than less. :-)

- Amitai
Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Amitai,

well, I'm still in the phase understanding Binc IMAP and getting used
to both the protocol and the code. Not that easy.

Production-worthiness is a tough goal. As a supplicant for Dovecot it
acts pretty cool here. But given the features and requirements of
IMAP(4v2), I'm still not there.

Regarding the 'public repositories' I'm planning to use Git. I'm a bit
reluctant regarding GitHub or GitLab, thus right now I'm hosting some
code by myself:

https://www.fehcom.de/cgit

This however does not include means for bug tracking and a ticketing
service. Let's see!

Regards.
--eh.

Re: Looking for beta testers: Binc IMAP vers 2 [ In reply to ]
Sorry.

Supplicant -> Substitude. Cloud!!!

It's late.

Regards.