Mailing List Archive

How to map existing emails to new unix user accounts ?
Hi,

For almost a month now I have been trying to set up qmail for a domain
referred to as mydomain.com, and each How-To I read only keeps adding to
the confusion. There are tons of HowTo's, each one either outdated or
only willing to help till some midway point. Hopefully, somebody on the
list will be kind enough to help me out.

My machine name is freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com, and qmailctl shows
everything up and running as expected.

when rcpthosts has 2 entries :
freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com
mydomain.com

it seems to be getting ready for email addresses in the form
firstname_secondname@freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com

I do not want that. The entry must be firstname_secondname@mydomain.com

If I remove the first line in rcpthosts, it looks like I get only 1
valid email address : postmaster@mydomain.com

There is a second problem I am facing. The unix logins I have created
are in the form firstname_secondname

But the existing email addresses are of the form
firstname.secondname@mydomain.com

How do I map the Unix logins to the existing email addresses ? Create
new Unix logins in the format firstname.secondname ?

Thanks for any help.

Manish Jain
Re: How to map existing emails to new unix user accounts ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Manish,

Am 12.03.2015 um 09:46 schrieb Manish Jain <manish.jain@roundabouttech.com>:

> Hi,
>
> For almost a month now I have been trying to set up qmail for a domain referred to as mydomain.com, and each How-To I read only keeps adding to the confusion. There are tons of HowTo's, each one either outdated or only willing to help till some midway point. Hopefully, somebody on the list will be kind enough to help me out.
>
> My machine name is freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com, and qmailctl shows everything up and running as expected.
>
> when rcpthosts has 2 entries :
> freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com
> mydomain.com

The rcpthosts is for incoming mails only (qmail-smtpd). Domain names and FQDNs included there in will be accepted for reception in case the SMTP envelope address (‚Rcpt To:‘) matches.

man qmail-smtpd

> it seems to be getting ready for email addresses in the form firstname_secondname@freebsd10dot1.mydomain.com
>
> I do not want that. The entry must be firstname_secondname@mydomain.com

The local part of the address is not subject of rcpthosts.
If you need to control/filter the entire addresses here you depend on other mechanism, ie. my RECIPIENTS enhancement for qmail-smtpd.

> If I remove the first line in rcpthosts, it looks like I get only 1 valid email address : postmaster@mydomain.com
>
> There is a second problem I am facing. The unix logins I have created are in the form firstname_secondname
>
> But the existing email addresses are of the form firstname.secondname@mydomain.com
>
> How do I map the Unix logins to the existing email addresses ? Create new Unix logins in the format firstname.secondname ?

This is a local delivery problem: SMTP envelope address (local part) —> Unix user account.

Qmail provides a solution here by means of the qmail-users mechanism.

man qmail-users.

Here, you find samples how to create the required mappings.

regards.
—eh.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Manish Jain

---
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: How to map existing emails to new unix user accounts ? [ In reply to ]
Thus said Manish Jain on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 14:16:03 +0530:

> How do I map the Unix logins to the existing email addresses ? Create
> new Unix logins in the format firstname.secondname ?

You can use fastforward, dot-qmail files in ~alias, virtualdomains (also
combined with dot-qmail files in ~alias), or even qmail-users.

Which one you choose to use is up to you.

There is no need create Unix logins with the same format as the email
address.

If you want centralized maintenance then fastforward or qmail-users may
be what you want.

Configuring a mail system has a lot of moving parts. What part in
particular are you having trouble with?

Thanks,

Andy
--