Mailing List Archive

Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS
Hi Joshua,

btw: IANA just assigned QMTPS to use port 6209!

(http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6209)

‚Cloud‘-based mail-queue services are now at their dawn!

regards.
—eh.

Am 09.01.2015 um 22:18 schrieb Joshua Megerman <josh@honorablemenschen.com>:

>> On 2015-01-09 20:10, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
>>
>>> Apart from this, I believe qmail’s queue should be reorganized to
>>> support GUID instead of inodes
>>
>> yep we have found this to be one of most useful changes we ever made,
>> both in terms of de-coupling from inodes and the ease of globally unique
>> id's in logs and other places, I was further considering using
>> guid-per-delivery to aid further analysis too :)
>
> This sounds like something to add to my long-term design goals as well.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!
>
> Josh
>
> Joshua Megerman
> SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
> You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
> - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
> josh@honorablemenschen.com

---
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
On 2015-01-09 22:29, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> btw: IANA just assigned QMTPS to use port 6209!
>

> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6209)

Nice, but here and now today (in the age of abundant cpu, memory &
bandwidth) what does QMTP actually give us? :)
Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Fri, 09 Jan 2015 23:29:04 +0100:

> btw: IANA just assigned QMTPS to use port 6209!
>
> ``Cloud''-based mail-queue services are now at their dawn!

If it's a queueing service wouldn't QMQP and QMQPS have been more
appropriate?

Thanks,

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000054b05bbf
Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

Am 09.01.2015 um 23:45 schrieb Paul Freeman (Core Internet) <paul@coreinternet.co.uk>:

> On 2015-01-09 22:29, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
>> Hi Joshua,
>>
>> btw: IANA just assigned QMTPS to use port 6209!
>>
>> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6209)
>>

> Nice, but here and now today (in the age of abundant cpu, memory & bandwidth) what does QMTP actually give us? :)

Oh. Within a set of SMTP clients QMTPS may act as a backbone for mail delivery. Let’s assume the following:

1. A SMTP server receives an email.

2. Based upon the forward-path, the ‚server‘ looks for the best matching QMTP(S) server.

3. This server provides an encrypted queue dir.

4. Forwards the message to the recipient(s) (encrypted) — or delivers a ‚location‘ link to client.

5. (alternatively) Inserts the message directly to a IMAP dir.

As I said, these are just ideas.

regards.
—eh.

---
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
Am 09.01.2015 um 23:52 schrieb Andy Bradford <amb-sendok-1423435934.eaclhmdmhmaefioieijn@bradfords.org>:

> Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Fri, 09 Jan 2015 23:29:04 +0100:
>
>> btw: IANA just assigned QMTPS to use port 6209!
>>
>> ``Cloud''-based mail-queue services are now at their dawn!
>
> If it's a queueing service wouldn't QMQP and QMQPS have been more
> appropriate?

What’s the difference? QMTP is a protocol. No security at all. Except you use a IPSEC or a CP link to the client.

My plan is, to provide TLS services to qmail-qmqpc as well (bad enough).

(see my web page for sqmail)

regards.
—eh.

Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:04:42 +0100:

> What's the difference? QMTP is a protocol. No security at all. Except
> you use a IPSEC or a CP link to the client.

The difference is that QMTP != QMQP. QMQP is a remote queuing protocol
interface to a qmail mail queue. QMTP on the other hand is a mail
transfer protocol (similar to SMTP), but more light weight. Maybe the
difference is subtle enough that it isn't worth arguing over... at any
rate, I've never considered QMTP to be a remote queueing protocol,
anymore than SMTP is a remote queueing protocol.

> My plan is, to provide TLS services to qmail-qmqpc as well (bad
> enough).

Authenticated TLS is good for qmail-qmqpc (since it is unauthenticated,
except by TCPRULES), however...

Do you mean qmail-qmtpc (which doesn't really exist); qmail-qmqpc is
meant to be used with QMQP, but you said in the original email QMTP.
qmail-qmqpc replaces qmail-queue on a local host that allows it
to place messages directly in a remote qmail mail queue. If I
have /usr/sbin/sendmail linked to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail, when I call
/usr/sbin/sendmail, the message will not be stored to local disk, but
will instead be directly placed in the remote queue (thanks to
qmail-qmqpc) via QMQP.

Did you perhaps mean qmail-qmtpc (which doesn't really exist except in
serialmail) which will talk to a QMTP server (the ports you registered).

For QMQP (remote mail queueing service):

man qmail-qmqpc
man qmail-qmqpd

For QMTP:

man qmail-qmtpd

Just trying to clarify...

Thanks,

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000054b062ce
Re: The current state of qmail -- QMTPS [ In reply to ]
* Paul Freeman (Core Internet) <paul@coreinternet.co.uk> [2015-01-09 23:47]:
> Nice, but here and now today (in the age of abundant cpu, memory &
> bandwidth) what does QMTP actually give us? :)

exactly the right question.

IMO, QMTP never ever even remotely had a point.
Best to forget it asap.

--
Henning Brauer, hb@bsws.de, henning@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de