Mailing List Archive

[ucspi-tcp] Per IP or netblock connection limit with Qmail TCPserver
Host OS: Gentoo Linux
pkg version: ucspi-tcp-0.88-r17

Very often (sometimes more than once a day) on some of the servers under
my control, qmail will be forced by a monitoring daemon to reboot due to
unresponsiveness. 9 and a half times out of 10 this is due to one
machine filling up the 40-80 free smtp slots on the server with garbage
requests. If I allow too many more than that it'll kill the cpu.

So, a (quite old) patch exists for ucspi-tcp-0.88 to add some
functionality to tcpserver.

http://linux.voyager.hr/ucspi-tcp/

A limits patch, based directly on the code above, existed in gentoo
until r15 of ucspi-tcp

After forking my own ebuild and adding the patch back in: 11 out of 14
chunks succeed...so close.

I want to know if any of you run qmail on servers that need this type of
functionality and want to help get a new, up-2-date patch out there.
Conversely, I'd like some suggestions on how to achieve the
functionality I am looking for in the tcpserver.