Mailing List Archive

Relay issue
I've setup a qmail server to act as a relay and smarthost in front of our Groupwise server. We went live last night and everything is going well except one small problem. Our primary domain is davistl.com and we also host lockingmailbox.com so our /var/qmail/control/smtproutes file looks like this:

lockingmailbox.com:192.168.3.32
davistl.com:192.168.3.32

All of the mail for those addresses is delivered just fine. I do have some mail though that is addressed to root@relay.davistl.com which I'd like to have delivered to cberry@davistl.com instead. I think the answer is some combination of smtproutes, virtualdomains and .qmail files but I haven't quite been able to pin it down.

Currently the mail gets stuck in the queue and shows "deferral: CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)" in the /var/qmail/log/current file.

If I add relay.davistl.com:192.168.3.32 to smtproutes I get messages like following:

@400000005140d1ee33806514 new msg 1153782
@400000005140d1ee338068fc info msg 1153782: bytes 8036 from <> qp 4552 uid 1010
@400000005140d1ee33bfbfd4 starting delivery 1889: msg 1153782 to remote root@relay.davistl.com
@400000005140d1ee33bfc3bc status: local 0/10 remote 2/20

@400000005140d1ef00b4fdfc end msg 1153782
@400000005140d1ef00baf554 delivery 1891: success: 192.168.3.32_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_Ok/
@400000005140d1ef00baf554 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20

The message never actually gets delivered though and qmail just keeps trying to send it.

/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root is:

&cberry@davistl.com

I guessing that isn't actually getting applied because it's a sub-domain and it attempts to deliver to the root user which doesn't actually exist on the Groupwise system.

Alternately I tried adding a virtualdomains entry (after removing the smtproutes entry):

relay.davistl.com:vmail

/home/vmail/.qmail-root is:

&cberry@davistl.com

After a qmailctl reload and qmailctl flush though I still get "CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)" so obviously I didn't get that quite right.

Would someone mind pointing out what I'm doing wrong?
Chris Berry
Linux Systems Administrator
Davis Tool
x521
Re: Relay issue [ In reply to ]
>Alternately I tried adding a virtualdomains entry (after removing the
>smtproutes entry):
>
>relay.davistl.com:vmail
>
>/home/vmail/.qmail-root is:
>
>&cberry@davistl.com
>
>After a qmailctl reload and qmailctl flush though I still get
>"CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)" so obviously I didn't get
>that quite right.

That should work. As I recall, when you reload virtualdomains, it doesn't
change the delivery plan for existing messages, so that one message will
continue getting CNAME errors until it times out.

Try sending another message to root@relay.davistl.com and it should work.
Re: Relay issue [ In reply to ]
>>After a qmailctl reload and qmailctl flush though I still get
>>"CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)" so obviously I didn't get
>>that quite right.

>That should work. As I recall, when you reload virtualdomains, it doesn't
>change the delivery plan for existing messages, so that one message will
>continue getting CNAME errors until it times out.
>
>Try sending another message to root@relay.davistl.com and it should work.

That was the missing piece of information I needed thanks!