Mailing List Archive

ucspi-tcp6 0.97
Re: ucspi-tcp6 0.97 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

sorry for my delayed answer.

Am 22.01.2013 um 21:57 schrieb Robert Wolfe:

> On 1/22/2013 2:12 PM, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I released version 0.97 of my package ucspi-tcp6.
>>
>> http://www.fehcom.de/ipnet/ucspi-tcp6.html
>>
>> Now it comes with full featured IPv6 RBL and anti-RBL lookup for rblsmtpd and some other gadgets.
>>
>> For those, who use BSD systems: I'm interesting in particular about the DNS (lookup) compatibility, since there is a significant different understanding how and when to use IPv4 and IPv6 sockets w.r.t. Linux.
>>

> Is this a plug in update from the version that is available from the qmail home page?

Hm. DJB released and distributes ucspi-tcp-0.88 from his own web page.

ucspi-tcp6 is simply the 'next generation' of his program adding IPv6 support.
It can be used in environments where both IPv4 and IPv6 support is required for the client/the server.

Thus, ucspi-tcp6 has all the merits of ucspi-tcp plus the new ones. Of course, one has to be cautious about the IPv6 environment. In particular, BSD/MacOS X systems have some problems with the DNS lookup in general (and not restricted to my program). I will provide an analysis on this topic later this year, though a work-around is already provided in ucspi-tcp6.

For the most of this community, IPv6 is a new development. The release is my contribution to support gathering some expertise in this field. In addition, ucspi-tcp6 is a natural successor of ucspi-tcp providing the same level of control for IPv6 connections as available now for IPv4.

Simply try it. It's a snap: package/install -- and you are done. Rejecting global IPv6 addresses ? 2001::/64: deny. Done in rules.cdb.

regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: 7E4034BE
RE: ucspi-tcp6 0.97 [ In reply to ]
Dr. Hoffmann,

Thank you for your reply.  That being said, I think I will hold off on applying your update at this time, but will keep a copy of it on hand in case I need to apply the update when the time comes.