Mailing List Archive

Mail Quota and bouncing revisted
Dax Kelson <dkelson@inconnect.com> writes:

>Again, what is the point of mail quotas for my users if instead of using
>disk space in the user's mailbox, it uses space in the queue?

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Your site's name sounds like an ISP. If so, are any of your local
users paying for a premium class of service for "Business" usage?
What expectations do they have regarding the delivery/non-delivery
of e-mail that was properly addressed to them and received by your
site? How would they react if, for example, their disk usage exceeded
their quota through no fault of their own (e.g. they were mailbombed),
they acted responsibly to delete the excess messages within 24 hours,
and then discover your server bounced their legitimate e-mail during
the trouble period?

My business customers would pitch huge screaming fits over something
like that.

But that doesn't mean I think your idea is a bad one. On the contrary,
I, too, would like to have the ability to throttle delivery of mail
to accounts that are over quota. I just don't think immedately bouncing
the mail is obviously the right choice.

Some people will want to do that (you do, obviously), others will want
to defer the messages to accomodate users who exceed quota only briefly.
It seems likely to me that some people may even want qmail to do different
things when the soft limit is exceeded than it does when the hard limit
is exceeded.

How would you feel about discussing the different options people would
need from a quota checking system, and try to come up with something
general enough to meet just about everybody's needs?

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive