Mailing List Archive

Message-IDs and qmail-smtpd
From qmail-header(5):

Every message should contain a Message-Id field. The
field contents are a unique worldwide identifier for this
message. If necessary qmail-inject creates a new Message-
Id field.

Note that this excludes qmail-smtpd from this responsibility.

If I connect to my mail port, and manually generate mail without a
Message-ID field, qmail will happily enqueue it and deliver it.

Shouldn't qmail-smtpd behave as qmail-inject in this instance?

--
Brian Reichert The Internet Company
617-547-3600 x161 96 Sherman Street
reichert@internet.com Cambridge, MA 02140
Re: Message-IDs and qmail-smtpd [ In reply to ]
[ Brian Reichert <reichert@oneida.internet.com> 1997-3 -18 21:41 -0500 ]
|---
| From qmail-header(5):
|
| Every message should contain a Message-Id field. The
| field contents are a unique worldwide identifier for this
| message. If necessary qmail-inject creates a new Message-
| Id field.
|
| Note that this excludes qmail-smtpd from this responsibility.
|
| If I connect to my mail port, and manually generate mail without a
| Message-ID field, qmail will happily enqueue it and deliver it.
|
| Shouldn't qmail-smtpd behave as qmail-inject in this instance?

Qmail assumes that everything coming in via SMTP has the necessary
headers. The main exception will be PC POP clients and the like. Look for
the string RELAYCLIENT in the FAQ file to see how to deal with such hosts.

- Harald
Re: Message-IDs and qmail-smtpd [ In reply to ]
Brian Reichert:
> From qmail-header(5):
>
> Every message should contain a Message-Id field. The
> field contents are a unique worldwide identifier for this
> message. If necessary qmail-inject creates a new Message-
> Id field.
>
> Note that this excludes qmail-smtpd from this responsibility.
>
> If I connect to my mail port, and manually generate mail without a
> Message-ID field, qmail will happily enqueue it and deliver it.
>
> Shouldn't qmail-smtpd behave as qmail-inject in this instance?

No, if you want that kind of solution the right place to put it is
qmail-queue, and you have to introduce a good mechanism for generating
the id (e.g. md5sum on normalized message body).

What's it worth to you?

--
Raul