Mailing List Archive

mail from: creates error
Werner Reisberger <wr@tribe.ping.de> writes:

>I installed qmail and got problems when I connected to port 25 of
>my machine. The command "mail from: user" always resulted in a syntax
>error (5.5.4).

RFC 821 says the syntax is:

mail from: <user>

That is, < and > around the address. Qmail enforces that syntax,
and the tests described in the INSTALL document give that syntax
as well.

>A message to qmail-inject works but I am also unable to
>connect from a remote host to port 25. At first the error message
>"host isn't in my recipient list" occured although I had the entries
>domain.tld
>.domain.tld
>in rcpthosts.

Is the rcpthosts file readable by the qmail-smtpd daemon (user
qmaild)? That's caught me a few times.

>When I added the full name of the remote machine mail loops occured.

Yes, a mail loop will occur if you tell qmail to send the mail
to another machine and you tell the other machine to send it to
the qmail machine. That's pretty easy to do if .forward, .qmail
or smtproutes files conflict with MX records.

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive