Mailing List Archive

Virtual Q-mail Servers???
I don't think this has been addressed in the FAQ or the docs for qmail, and
I don't remember it being discussed on this forum, but that doesn't mean
much...

This is what I'm looking for:

I need a way to run "virtual qmail servers" i.e. a way for our standard
dial-in customers to have their passwords and home directories looked up
from /etc/passwd, and our virtual web/mail users to have their
passwords/mail dir's looked up from a different, external database.

In Other Words, if there exists a zmerch@northernway.net (which there is...
me) and I reside in the /etc/passwd file.

Then one of our commercial customers needs only one company login, but
several different e-mail addresses, each with their own passwords, but no
associated login. Say, a company called mybrainhurtz asks us to do hosting
for them. We set up a webpage at www.mybrainhurtz.duh ... that's fine. We
set up one shared I-net connection... say their dial-up name is
mybrainhurtz. Now they need four e-mail accounts... I want to be able to
set up a separate e-mail passwd file for just them, so they log on thru the
one login, but then they can access each mail separately.

Especially if they want zmerch@mybrainhurtz.duh... I'll be able to give
them that ID, but it won't interfere with my passwd/shadow ID, and they
won't be able to try to log in as zmerch.

Also, president@mybrainhurtz.duh doesn't want anyone else reading his mail;
some of it is confidential. He wants his own password / mailbox, but the
company only has one login...

Please rank this possibility as:

1) it's super easy, and I'm super-stupid for not figuring it out,

2) it can be done, but I need more (docs/tools/programs/config) choose one,

3) I can have separate password files, but I can't use /etc/passwd to do
it... (that wouldn't be a problem... I'd just mirror our passwd file to a
secondary file and make sure it's updated.....)

4) It can be done, but it's not secure

5) <Chuckle... smirk... cough> I wanna What??? Bwahahahahaha!!!!!
Good Luck Buddy!!! ;^)

6) What in the Hades are you talking about???

I can provide details if necessary...
I certainly appreciate y'all just reading this, so a *big* TIA!

Thanks again,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger Merchberger | Everyone complained to me to change my .sig,
Programmer, NorthernWay | but no-one could recommend something better.
Re: Virtual Q-mail Servers??? [ In reply to ]
Re: Virtual Q-mail Servers??? [ In reply to ]
Roger Merchberger:
> I need a way to run "virtual qmail servers" i.e. a way for our standard
> dial-in customers to have their passwords and home directories looked up
> from /etc/passwd, and our virtual web/mail users to have their
> passwords/mail dir's looked up from a different, external database.
>
> In Other Words, if there exists a zmerch@northernway.net (which there is...
> me) and I reside in the /etc/passwd file.

What I've done is write a shell script to build
/var/qmail/users/assign, using qmail-pw2u to extract data from
/etc/passwd, but building the rest of it using other techniques.

--
Raul