Education of the users isn't an option.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.
Mail Quotas (was size of mail) [ In reply to ]
Dax Kelson writes:
> My thoughts are that when Qmail tries to do a local delivery and the user
> is over his/her quota Qmail shouldn't queue the message. It should bounce
> the mail right away.

Either choice is rational, and depends on how much disk space you
have, and how you have allocated it.

> We have lots of users who have "leave mail on server" checked, they can
> barely get their computers on and off without calling tech support.
> Education of the users isn't an option.

Write a little script that checks to see if a message file has been
accessed after being written. If so, nuke it.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok
Re: Mail Quotas (was size of mail) [ In reply to ]
On 14 Mar 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Either choice is rational, and depends on how much disk space you
> have, and how you have allocated it.

Ok, how do I implement the immediate bounce option?

> > We have lots of users who have "leave mail on server" checked, they can
> > barely get their computers on and off without calling tech support.
> > Education of the users isn't an option.
>
> Write a little script that checks to see if a message file has been
> accessed after being written. If so, nuke it.

This blanket approach won't work. There are reasons to leave mail on the
server. As long as the messages don't start going into qmail queue when
they can't be written to users directory I don't care if they do leave
them on the server.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.
Re: Mail Quotas (was size of mail) [ In reply to ]
Dax Kelson writes:
> On 14 Mar 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
> > Either choice is rational, and depends on how much disk space you
> > have, and how you have allocated it.
>
> Ok, how do I implement the immediate bounce option?

I strongly recommend to any enterprise larger than a dozen people that
they have a dedicated SMTP/POP3 server, which has no user shell
accounts. This way, you have complete control over the local mail
delivery (no .qmail files). Modify ALIAS_EMPTY in conf-unusual.h so
that it looks like this:

#define ALIAS_EMPTY "|/usr/local/bin/qmail-quota\n./Maildir/\n"

Have qmail-quota check the quota for the current user on the current
directory. If there is no room left, print "Sorry, this user has gone
over quota", and exit 111. It's been years since I've had to share a
Unix box with anyone, so I have no idea how you check the quota. I
could find out, but you'd have to pay me (workstations are like
toothbrushes -- everyone should have their own and nobody should have
to share one). :)

Re: Mail Quotas (was size of mail) [ In reply to ]
hi,

i made a proggy to check quota's for linux for local hard disks only.
if anyone's interested. there's not much use for t though because if the
user has shell access he can change his .qmail file.

qmail needs some additional capability for pre-delivery.

Andi