Mailing List Archive

501_HELO_requires_domain_address
insom@math.ucr.edu writes:

> Lately, my computer has been unable to deliver mail to
>several different computers. These computers give the same
>error message:
>
>Mar 12 11:08:53 trogon qmail: 858164933.094704 delivery 6: deferral: Connected_to_138.23.203.100_but_my_name_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_501_HELO_requires_domain_address/

When I did some test connections to that IP address, the only time it
refused my HELO was when I didn't include a domain. It didn't seem to
matter whether I gave my correct domain or a bogus one. I did notice
that it was did reverse lookups and an ident query on me.

So, the things to check are:

o What do your control/me and control/helohost files look like?
If helohost exists, but is empty, that could make your qmail
issue a HELO without a domain. That might also happen if the
helohost file exists but isn't readable by qmail-remote.

o Does your machine have an ident daemon? I wonder if that
installation of Sendmail gets more picky about the HELO
greeting when the connecting host doesn't have reverse DNS
available and/or won't answer ident queries.

Hope this helps,

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive