Mailing List Archive

Man pages would be cool.
Magnus L. Hetland wrote:

> "Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:
>
> > Barry A. Warsaw writes:
> [...]
> > Manpages have never been requested, unless you consider Tom's
> > complaint a request. I've received nothing at
> > python-docs@python.org. Certainly not a contributed conversion
> > script.
>
> Hm. Could I request them now? I think it might be kinda nice to
> have... :)

I was very distressed to load up my Red Had system and find Python
effectively invisible. It should be available in man pages and IDLE
should be in the GUI menus. (obviously two very different problems)

Paul Prescod
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
Paul Prescod wrote:

> I was very distressed to load up my Red Had system and find Python
> effectively invisible. It should be available in man pages and IDLE
> should be in the GUI menus. (obviously two very different problems)

I'll pass on the man pages noise, but it is easy enough to add IDLE to
the menus. In fact, it fits very nicely in the slot where xeyes used to
live :)

--
Bear Technology Making Montana safe for Grizzlies

http://people.montana.com/~bowman/
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
bowman wrote:

> I'll pass on the man pages noise, but it is easy enough to add IDLE to
> the menus. In fact, it fits very nicely in the slot where xeyes used to
> live :)

I'm talking more from a marketing perspective. Wouldn't it be great if
new Linux users just walking through the menus would "stumble" upon
IDLE? I think that it would be right in Linux's mandate to "educate the
masses" and Python's mandate to make programming accessible to the
masses.

Paul Prescod
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
Paul Prescod wrote:

> I'm talking more from a marketing perspective. Wouldn't it be great if
> new Linux users just walking through the menus would "stumble" upon
> IDLE?

And try to use it like the Notepad type editor it resembles at first
glance? I understand what you are saying, but I don't think chance
encounters are very productive. At least IDLE provides a readily
apparent escape hatch, unlike stumbling into emacs in the pre-menu days.

Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
bowman wrote:
|> a readily apparent escape hatch ... unlike ... emacs ... pre-menu

Or even 'vi'. I recall for 6 months when I was bringing up a
68010 Unix box, I'd just reboot the lab machine anytime I found
it left in vi by another engineer, because I didn't know how to
quit vi.

I won't rest till it's the best ... Software Production Engineer
Paul Jackson (pj@sgi.com; pj@usa.net) 3x1373 http://sam.engr.sgi.com/pj
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
pj@sgi.com (Paul Jackson) wrote:
> I recall for 6 months when I was bringing up a 68010 Unix box, I'd just
> reboot the lab machine anytime I found it left in vi by another engineer,
> because I didn't know how to quit vi.

The only vi I know is "<esc>:q!<return>". So far, it's been all the vi
I've ever had to know :-) If I ever have to work on a machine that
doesn't have emacs, I just use ed.
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
Hi All--

Roy Smith wrote:

[bobbitt]

> The only vi I know is "<esc>:q!<return>". So far, it's been all the vi
> I've ever had to know :-) If I ever have to work on a machine that
> doesn't have emacs, I just use ed.

_Real_ men use "cat > filename".

<and-the-reset-button-is-for-sissies,-just-pull-the-plug>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
ivanlan@home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]
bowman wrote:

> And try to use it like the Notepad type editor it resembles at first
> glance? I understand what you are saying, but I don't think chance
> encounters are very productive.

That's how I've learned almost everything I know about every operating
system I've used. You realize you have something installed, figure it
must be useful and read the docs to figure out why. Isn't this principle
behind the very existence of menus at all?

Paul Prescod
Man pages would be cool. [ In reply to ]