Mailing List Archive

python threads on solaris -- how to get pthread semantics
Is there a supported way to get the python threads packages to build
with
posix threads on solaris? By default, the --with-threads configure
switch seems to use native solaris threads. The difference between
native
threads and pthreads makes a big difference for fork(2) semantics and
possibly
other things, and I'd like to be using pthreads on whatever platforms
they are
available. By playing with defines and changing link lines I've rebuilt
python to
use pthreads on solaris, and the tests at least pass, so it doesn't seem
like an
obviously bad thing to do.

Can anybody offer insight as to
(1) why the default is not posix threads whenever they are available on
a platform? In
particular are there known problems on solaris with using posix for
your threads?
(2) is there an approved way to get posix thread semantics that I'm
missing
(unless hacking makefiles is the approved way :-)