Mailing List Archive

[NOISE] [OFF-TOPIC] [BUT IMPORTANT] Re: Why use Python when we've got Perl?
This is absolutely off-topic, definitely pure noise.

"Tim Peters" <tim_one@email.msn.com> writes:

> [Aahz Maruch]
> > Arguing over whether Python is "better" than Perl is like arguing
> > over whether European food is better than Asian.
>
> Exactly so! Everyone knows Asian food is better, but it's not polite to say
> so in mixed company.

Gasp, shocking! 'nearly died of heart attack when reading that. Nobody
else than Americans would dare writing such other-simplifying
absurdities :-) <--- smiley, don't shoot, we Europeans usually don't
have firearms :-) <--- second smiley.

Indeed, the comparison is silly, but for a different reason : Asian
food, European food... this doesn't mean anything at all! What's in
common between Japanese, Chinese and Cambodian foods, or between
German, English, Spanish and Italian foods? Nothing. BTW, as a biased
arrogant French, I'm not allowed to judge the food of my country, but
of course you know what I think :-)

> gastrowinkingly y'rs - tim

Veau Marengot rules.
--
Jerome Kalifa
Centre de Mathematiques Appliquees, Ecole Polytechnique.
[NOISE] [OFF-TOPIC] [BUT IMPORTANT] Re: Why use Python when we've got Perl? [ In reply to ]
Jerome Kalifa <Jerome.Kalifa@polytechnique.fr> writes:
[schnupp]
> Indeed, the comparison is silly, but for a different reason : Asian
> food, European food... this doesn't mean anything at all! What's in
> common between Japanese, Chinese and Cambodian foods, or between
> German, English, Spanish and Italian foods? Nothing.

Well, they're all carbon based, genereally.

The funniest part of the perl/Python flame war is how similar
languages are, especially when compared with stuff like lisp, ml or
haskell.

oh-my-god-I'm-about-to-post-to-a-perl-vs.-Python-thread-ly y'rs
Michael
[NOISE] [OFF-TOPIC] [BUT IMPORTANT] Re: Why use Python when we've got Perl? [ In reply to ]
In article <m3n1vr3bw6.fsf@atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk>
mwh21@cam.ac.uk "Michael Hudson" writes:
> Jerome Kalifa <Jerome.Kalifa@polytechnique.fr> writes:
> [schnupp]
> > Indeed, the comparison is silly, but for a different reason : Asian
> > food, European food... this doesn't mean anything at all! What's in
> > common between Japanese, Chinese and Cambodian foods, or between
> > German, English, Spanish and Italian foods? Nothing.
>
> Well, they're all carbon based, genereally.
>
> The funniest part of the perl/Python flame war is how similar
> languages are, especially when compared with stuff like lisp, ml or
> haskell.

Yep, Perl and python are semantically quite close (IMO). The difference
is Python has sensible syntax.

--
Phil Hunt....philh@vision25.demon.co.uk
[NOISE] [OFF-TOPIC] [BUT IMPORTANT] Re: Why use Python when we've got Perl? [ In reply to ]
> Yep, Perl and python are semantically quite close (IMO). The difference
> is Python has sensible syntax.

....and so it begins again....

Ian.