``I always thought that anybody who told me I couldn't live in the
past was trying to get me to forget something that if I remembered
it would get them in serious trouble.'' --Utah Philips
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
David Young wrote:

> Has anyone built an RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? I think it's sort of curious
> that RedHat hasn't already. Anyway, I'm building my own package right now,
> but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time....

Try:

http://www.andrich.net/python/download.html

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000: 145 days left
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
David Young wrote:

> Has anyone built an RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? I think it's sort of curious
> that RedHat hasn't already. Anyway, I'm building my own package right now,
> but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time....

I didn't do a rpm for RH5.2, just built from source. Installing to
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib tends to break glint, setup, and a
couple of other Python based rh tools, but you can move their .so stuff
and rand.py to the appropriate directories and get the tools working
again.

I had done the rpm earlier, but vim5.4 didn't seem to find a python
config it needed, so I was having trouble getting the python features
enabled.

After spending a day trying to get PerlTk up. only to discover Perl is
broken in rh5.2, and a few other RPM gotchas, I'm back to building from
source. ymmv

--
Bear Technology Making Montana safe for Grizzlies

http://people.montana.com/~bowman/
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
David Young wrote:

> Has anyone built an RPM for Python 1.5.2 ?

Someone else pointed you to Oliver's RPMs, for RH 5.2. Oliver started a list
to discuss packaging issues,
and he (and I and others) are working on getting a version of 1.5.2 that
works on RH 6.0, Mandrake 6, and
others.

To see the list archives, go to:
some time this week to fix Redhat's pythonlib package so that it works
properly with 1.5.2. For an example
of why it DOESN'T work now, check out this line from listbox.py in the
/usr/lib/rhs/python directory:

def __init__(self, Master = None, fieldList):

Other examples of using non-default arguments after defaults exist, and
should be easy to fix. I don't
understand how the redhat 1.5.1 python package doesn't break (I don't have it
installed, and I haven't
had a chance to check into it...)

Chad
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
David Young wrote:

> It says at that URL that the binaries are compiled with pgcc with
> -mpentiumpro, etc. It's essential that they work for me on any
> 386-compatible architecture. Will they? If not, do you know of a package
> that will?
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:12:49PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > David Young wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone built an RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? I think it's sort of curious
> > > that RedHat hasn't already. Anyway, I'm building my own package right now,
> > > but I'm afraid I might be wasting my time....
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > http://www.andrich.net/python/download.html

They should work on 386 machines too -- but slower than ones compiled
for i386.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000: 143 days left
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]

| > > Try:
| > >
| > > http://www.andrich.net/python/download.html

I had good luck with these RPMs on RH 6 except when I tried
installing the Tkinter stuff:

# rpm -Uvh python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
blt >= 2.4c is needed by python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2
libBLT.so.2 is needed by python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2

I don't know what blt is! I did erase RH's tkinter package, but it
didn't help. Do I need to install Tcl/Tk extensions to make it work
with Python? :(

For normal use I don't use Tkinter so it's not affecting me. All I
wanted to do with Tkinter was to try out IDLE.. :) I'm quite happy
with Oliver's RPMs.. it's much more convenient than asking everyone at
work to compile Python 1.5.2 on their system. :)

- Amit
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
On 23 Aug 1999 19:03:03 GMT, Amit Patel <amitp@Xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>I had good luck with these RPMs on RH 6 except when I tried
>installing the Tkinter stuff:
>
> # rpm -Uvh python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> blt >= 2.4c is needed by python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2
> libBLT.so.2 is needed by python-_tkinter-1.5.2-2
>
>I don't know what blt is! I did erase RH's tkinter package, but it
>didn't help. Do I need to install Tcl/Tk extensions to make it work
>with Python? :(

blt is a set of widgets for TK, so look for a blt RPM wherever your
RH 6.0 distribution keeps TCL/TK RPMS.

Steve W.
RPM for Python 1.5.2 ? [ In reply to ]
amitp@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Amit Patel) writes:

> For normal use I don't use Tkinter so it's not affecting me. All I
> wanted to do with Tkinter was to try out IDLE.. :) I'm quite happy
> with Oliver's RPMs.. it's much more convenient than asking everyone at
> work to compile Python 1.5.2 on their system. :)

BTW, you need to edit the netcfg script of RH (5.2 or 6.0) to get it
to work with 1.5.2. That's easy though, just adding '=None' to two
function arguments (which are not originally keyword arguments but are
preceded by keyword arfuments).

--
Janne Sinkkonen <janne@iki.fi> <URL: http://www.iki.fi/~janne/ >