I've got a (stupid) question. I'm learning myself Python now, but I still
have a question:
How can you make .EXE files with python??? I'm using Python 1.5.2 (final)
for Windows.

Greets

Rik

P.S. Could somebody send me some source files of games made with python.
I've got BUS and PUB.
Stupid question about .EXE [ In reply to ]
In article <7o93uk$sjrn$1@reader2.wxs.nl>,
"Rik" <rik-007@dds.nl> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a (stupid) question. I'm learning myself Python now, but I
still
> have a question:
> How can you make .EXE files with python??? I'm using Python 1.5.2
(final)
> for Windows.
>
> Greets
>
> Rik

Hi, I'm new to python too...

I'm sure that python itself cannot make .EXE files, but I have read
somewhere that you can encapsulate a python script into an EXE...

Don't know what the name of the utility is, or if it's executable
itself or is c source code to allow the making of a python .EXE

Does anyboy know what the name of the utility is and where it's located?
I read somewhere about it, but can't remember....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Stupid question about .EXE [ In reply to ]

> Don't know what the name of the utility is, or if it's executable
> itself or is c source code to allow the making of a python .EXE

Check out the freeze utility included with Python. This requires a C
compiler to build the actual executable, but the utility is usable on all
platforms.

Also take a look at Grodon McMillan's Installer utility found at
http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html. This one doesn't require
a C compiler but is Win32 only (and works quite good in my opinion.)

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
Stupid question about .EXE [ In reply to ]
[Robin Dunn]
>Also take a look at Grodon McMillan's Installer utility found at
>http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html. This one doesn't require
>a C compiler but is Win32 only (and works quite good in my opinion.)

I second that! We have just finished a freeware utility to convert
Eudora mailboxes to XML and from there to the Folio Views
IR engine. The thing is written in Python using wxPython as
the front end and shipped as an installshield setup. Gordon's
installer did the magic of accumulating all the dependent
bits into one directory and creating the win32 executable.

Nobody who has used it so far has been able to guess that it
was written in Python. For fun, we are winding up a few
people, telling them that we took the Microsoft C++ source
code for the Scribble application as a base...