Mailing List Archive

Call for snippets
Hello,

Some of you may have noticed that I have a snippets site since a few
months. (In this definition, snippets are pieces of working Python
code, usually demonstrating something or solving a problem.) Until
now, I have extracted them from newsgroup messages. This isn't an
ideal situation, because there are lots of messages which I all have
to read, and I don't really have the time for that. (Yeah I know...
sacrilege... :^)

This isn't really a problem though. What does bother me is that my
collection isn't growing very rapidly. I have 119 snippets online
now, with 100+ still residing on my harddisk, untested. It's a start,
but there really isn't much progress, mainly because of the reasons
mentioned above. I have a feeling that there is a lot of good and
useful code there but that I have to wait until it accidentally shows
up in the newsgroup, triggered by somebody's question.

So, my request is obvious. I would ask everyone to browse through
their code and see if they have any interesting, useful or just plain
cool snippets. I'm not really picky; a nifty function would do. I am
not really looking for complete modules since I have a snippet
repository, not a module repository (nor anything like CPAN, the
pyPit, etc), but I won't refuse them. In fact, anything that solves
any problem could be a valuable snippets. I'd almost say, 'when in
doubt, post your code'. <g> I'd go even farther: if you have Python
code somewhere and think there might be interesting functions in it,
I would be pleased if you pointed me to it; I will scan and extract
them myself.

My goal is to have a site where both newbies and more advanced coders
could go to see how to do something in Python, or how to do something
*differently* if they already have some solution, because more
snippets can tackle the same problem. But in order to do that I need
some more code! Or at least a larger base. <wish> Now if everyone
reading this ng would post at least one snippet, there would be an
explosive growth... </wish>

=A5ou can check out the page at http://www.hvision.nl/~ivnowa/snippets/
. It's (of course) still under construction. Snippets and comments
can be sent to (feeble spam protection) ivnowa @ hvision . nl or
hnowak @ cuci . nl. (The address mentioned on the side is actually
obsolete. I will remove it.)

Thanks in advance,

Hans Nowak (ivnowa@hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon
Call for snippets [ In reply to ]
Hans,

Thanks for this posting, the site is clean and well organized.

It is a useful learning tool. I might, one day, make an offering.

One little suggestion, you might consistently date the entries.

Colin W,

Call for snippets [ In reply to ]
Hi

Hans Nowak wrote:
[a lot...]
> ¥ou can check out the page at http://www.hvision.nl/~ivnowa/snippets/
[and even more...]

Hans, where are you?? It seems like your snippets page has vanished!!
Is it only me or has something happened??
Do you have a new address??

don't-leave-us-this-way-ly y'rs
-- Thomas