It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python have anything
like RMI?

Tim Egbert
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 01 Aug 1999, Tim Egbert wrote:
> Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat concept.
> It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python have anything
> like RMI?

If you can forego the concept of agents, take a look at

www.xmlrpc.com

and

www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc

Zope, the Python-based application server platform (www.zope.org), now
includes XML-RPC capability in the core
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
* Tim Egbert

| Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat
| concept. It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python
| have anything like RMI?

Yes: CORBA. See <URL: http://www.dstc.edu.au/Fnorb/ >. I think there
also are some bindings to various C ORBs floating around. Compared to
RMI CORBA has the advantage that it is completely vendor-, language-
and platform-independent.

--Lars M.
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Tim Egbert
> |
> | Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat
> | concept. It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python
> | have anything like RMI?
>
> Yes: CORBA. See <URL: http://www.dstc.edu.au/Fnorb/ >. I think there
> also are some bindings to various C ORBs floating around. Compared to
> RMI CORBA has the advantage that it is completely vendor-, language-
> and platform-independent.
>
> --Lars M.

As an alternative have a look at Dopy 0.2 at
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~proteus/dopy

to quote from the documentation:

" DOPY is a small distributed object system written entirely in Python.
It is not intended to be CORBA compliant. Instead, it aims to be
extremely easy to use and to support Python's dynamic nature - methods
are invoked dynamically, parameters are passed by copy. Any python object
that can be pickled can automatically be passed as a parameter or a
return value, and any Python object can be published as a distributed
object."

I've been playing around with it and I find it quite usable (see author's
notes)

Cheers

Florent Heyworth
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
Tim Egbert wrote:
> Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat concept.
> It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python have anything
> like RMI?

It's easy enough to create one, using the SimpleTCPServer class. In
fact, I have done it. As soon as I get a chance to re-visit the code and
clean up some boojums I will toss it onto my web site (it currently is
functional and working, but there are some known denial-of-service
problems that I wish to tackle before considering it halfway finished).

If you're wanting to do it youself, think HTTP -- HTTP is at its heart a
remote method invocation mechanism, you have the HTTP libraries
available, you have the BaseHTTPServer available so that you can add
your own methods (HTTP is NOT restricted to GET and POST, though that's
all that most HTTP servers understand!), and Python's 'pickles' make it
very easy to wrap up data to pass it to a remote server.

--
Eric Lee Green http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
Howabout JPython - a 100% pure java implementation of python which gives you
full access to all the java packages and let's you create/manipulate, etc java
objects from within a python environment. Check it out at www.jpython.org/

--
Matthew Miller
Zebra Software Ltd.

E-mail: matthewm@zebrasoft.co.nz
Ph: 025-2920625 / FAX: 03-3842397
RMI and Python [ In reply to ]
Tim Egbert wrote:

> Java is able to do remote method invocation (RMI) which is a neat concept.
> It is the basis for Jini, another neat idea. Does Python have anything
> like RMI?
>
> Tim Egbert

I've a simple Distributed Objects package you could try, if you
like.

Email me if you'd like to get a copy.

John S.