http://www.CalendarCentral.com
919.743.0109
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Python and SlickEdit [ In reply to ]
The SlickEdit people have been less than forthcoming in building support for
Python (and aren't really intrerested in anything but supporting Java, Perl
or C/C++ it seems). I've been hounding them for about a year for decent
Python support and finally gave up.

Supposedly the latest 4.0 patch will deal with triple quotes and single
quotes correctly but I haven't gotten around to installing it -- I've been
using VIM. With 4.0 up to the 'b' revision, when you try to define a color
extension map, it'll accept """ but then lock up if you go back to edit it.
You can edit the config text files by hand to remove it but it's a royal
pain.

The request for colorization and syntax support was met with a "build your
own, it's easy!" and canned instructions. If it's that easy, SlickEdit
should bloody well do it.

Bollocks to them, I say. I'll save my $59 yearly renewal money and send half
to Guido and half to the VIM folks :-)

Rowland Smith wrote in message <379CA3F9.A746217E@iRenaissance.com>...
|Does anyone know if there are any Python plug-ins for Visual SlickEdit
|and where they are?

|--
|Regards,
|Rowland
|
|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::
|iRenaissance, Inc.
| -- Tools For Building Online Communities
|
| Rowland D. Smith
| Senior Software Developer
| http://www.iRenaissance.com
| http://www.CalendarCentral.com
| 919.743.0109
|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::
Python and SlickEdit [ In reply to ]
Rowland Smith <rowland@iRenaissance.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are any Python plug-ins for Visual SlickEdit
>and where they are?

There's a Python module in the contributed area
(ftp://ftp.slickedit.com/pub/usermacs/python.zip).

It does code coloring, but no procedure outlining (at least not
working).

Daniel Dittmar
Python and SlickEdit [ In reply to ]
daniel.dittmar@sap-ag.de (Daniel Dittmar) wrote:

> Rowland Smith <rowland@iRenaissance.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if there are any Python plug-ins for Visual SlickEdit
> >and where they are?
>
> There's a Python module in the contributed area
> (ftp://ftp.slickedit.com/pub/usermacs/python.zip).
>
> It does code coloring, but no procedure outlining (at least not
> working).

Wonder if that's the one I've submitted to them at least twice. If
so, you're right that the procedure outlining is only partly working.
They never responded to my requests for help on it and I'm not a
wizard with their extension environment (mainly use Emacs, have for
many years, fire up Slick Edit every few months for some special use).
Slick-C isn't that bad as an extension language (IMO, not that good
either) but you really need to learn all of their internal extension
conventions too.

My hazy memory says that part of the problem was that all existing
examples of working procedure outlining and full tagging are
implemented as C dlls. There was on critical function that the
comments in the sample file (i.e. the official documentation) claimed
would do what was needed but I couldn't find a Slick-C implementation
of that for any of their modes and mine didn't work for the usual
mysterious reasons. This was what I was asking for help on...

BTW: I looked at their "Context Tagging" implementation for C++.
While its undocumented, it looks like someone *could* do something
similar for Python. It all *seems* to be in Slick-C. Be a lot of
work and you might run into something that had to be done in C/C++.

Dan Pierson, Control Technology Corporation
dan@control.com
Python and SlickEdit [ In reply to ]
Howdy:

I'm using that aforementioned macro extension with Vslick. Works well,
except for comments. Can't get that to work and trying to puzzle out the
internals of the editor takes too much time.

Since Python doesn't use brackets (which I'm starting to like ) I wrote
a macro to do a jump to end of structure, which is the next dedented line.

Its ugly, there's probably a neater way to do it, but it works so far. I
need to add a simple way to goto the prev dedent; currently I have a similar
macro for this. I assigned them to tool bar buttons:

/**
*
* Go to the next line where cur column is non-space.
*
* This is especially useful for the Python language which uses indentation
* as a structuring device (which has a certain advantage, "a wysiwyg
style")
*
* @author JB
* @date 7/28/99
* @version 0.01
*
*/
_command next_dedent()
{
cursor_down();
ch = get_text(1);

ch,1,'r') || !_dbcsStartOfDBCSCol(p_col) ) {

if( cursor_down()){
break;
}
ch = get_text(1);