Mailing List Archive

install shield & python
Has anyone had any experience with install shield calling python?

I have written a simple script for a co-worker to call from within
install shield.The script will return some interger value depending on
what is located in a particular file.
Basically the script looks like the following:

if __name__ == '__main__':

retVal = versionCheck(dataPath)

if (retVal == RUN_TEST1):
retVal=checkVal(dataPath, retVal)

sys.exit(retVal)

Do I need to anything special for her to read this return value other
that using sys.exit()?

Thanks,
Lori

Lori Ludick loril@mdmgr.com
Programmer/Analyst
Medical Manager Research and Development
install shield & python [ In reply to ]
Lori Ludick wrote in message <3797323B.64357B18@mmrd.com>...

>Has anyone had any experience with install shield calling python?
>
>I have written a simple script for a co-worker to call from within
>install shield.The script will return some interger value depending on
>what is located in a particular file.
>Basically the script looks like the following:

> sys.exit(retVal)

>Do I need to anything special for her to read this return value other
>that using sys.exit()?

That depends. Your code will work assuming you will invoke this script
using Python.exe, and InstallShield can see external program exit codes.
For more information, you wil need to indicate exactly how you expect
InstallShield to execute this Python code.

Can you guarantee that Python.exe and everything else you needs is installed
on the machine?

Mark.