Mailing List Archive

Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE?
I've seen several references to IDLE. Is this an IDE for python? Or
what is it? Thanks, Andy.
Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE? [ In reply to ]
From: Andy L Krietemeyer <afn08995@afn.org>

Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE? [ In reply to ]
From: Thomas Bryan <tbryan@arlut.utexas.edu>

Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE? [ In reply to ]

Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE? [ In reply to ]
In article <377D8BFB.3700379@afn.org>,
Andy L Krietemeyer <afn08995@afn.org> wrote:
> I've seen several references to IDLE. Is this an IDE for python? Or
> what is it? Thanks, Andy.

Yup. It has simple editing and debug support but no GUI builer or
"wizards". A kind of poor-mans emacs :-) although I must admit that
I use it rather than emacs for Python code. I'm not sure why -
I tried it and never changed back. The only thing I miss is not
having several windows on one piece of code (maybe this is possible,
I've never been able to do it). Also, the key bindings are a
compromise between emacs/Unix and Dev Studio/MS, so if you use all
three you can type the wrong thing at times....

It appears to be written in Tkinter, but has a very nice file browser,
which I keep intending to track down, but haven't, yet - but which
you can presumably use in other Tkinter apps.

Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Dumb beginner question; what is IDLE? [ In reply to ]
From: Andrew Cooke <andrew@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk>