Mailing List Archive

BOFs (Birds-Of-a-Feather) sessions at the Monterey Python conference
As you may know, O'Reilly & Associates is organizing a Python Conference
as part of its Open Source Convention in Monterey in August. (For more
information, see http://conferences.oreilly.com). Early word from
O'Reilly is that the Python conference is getting quite a few
early registrants eager to get the discount & free t-shirts!

In addition to the tutorials, talks and panels, there will be informal
"Birds-Of-a-Feather" sessions in the tradition of Usenix BOFs. These meet
at "off" times: Saturday and Sunday from 7pm to 10pm, and Monday from 8pm
to 10pm -- meeting spaces will be made available by ORA. The format for
these is deliberately left up to the birds -- however, one or more
organizers are expected to show up and help lead discussions.

I'd like to solicit discussion on what BOFs would be good to organize, and
find some organizers. Topics that come to mind include field-specific
BOFs such as a Zope BOF, an image-processing BOF, a database BOF, etc.,
tool-BOFs (Tkinter, wxPython, ...) or "market segment" BOFs such as
"Python in Education", "Selling Python programs", etc. Other ideas are
welcome. Anyone can register a BOF through ORA's website at
http://conferences.oreilly.com/bof/, but it might make sense to talk about
it on the mailing list first to minimize overlaps and work out scheduling.

If a BOF is scheduled by July 15, it will be included in the conference
program given to attendees. BOFs can be scheduled later, and will be
available on the conference website (as well as onsite, I imagine).

Looking forward to seeing many of you there,

--David Ascher & the rest of the Python Conference Organizing Committee

PS: If you have any questions about the Python conference, you can contact
the conference staff at oscon@oreilly.com or you can contact me at
da@python.net. In addition, the folks at oscon@oreilly.com can mail
you a nifty glossy printed brochure showing the entire schedule of the
convention, all the talk descriptions, etc.

BOFs (Birds-Of-a-Feather) sessions at the Monterey Python conference [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, David Ascher wrote:

> As you may know, O'Reilly & Associates is organizing a Python Conference
> as part of its Open Source Convention in Monterey in August. [...]
>
> I'd like to solicit discussion on what BOFs would be good to organize, and
> find some organizers. [...]
> http://conferences.oreilly.com/bof/

I'd love to see "Python and Java BOF", and maybe one on CORBA. If we
could hornswaggle Jim Hugunin or Barry Warsaw to talk a bit, that would be
great. Whoa -- just found Jim's JPython slides[1]. For the
record, his talk at JavaOne was excellent -- thanks!

Basically, Java can bite me, but it has tons of libraries, everything
talks to it, and it has local fatass support. Switching to JPython sounds
like a win/win, and I need to prove it.

CORBA I havent messed with since Fnorb used to be unstable, I'd love to
hear how it's changed.

- j

[1] http://www.jpython.org/jpython-talk-1.ppt
BOFs (Birds-Of-a-Feather) sessions at the Monterey Python conference [ In reply to ]