Mailing List Archive

help
On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:58:52 +1200, nfbb <nfbb@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi there - I'm running Windows 98 and was wondering what the best program
>for writing python Source code is under this operating system?

I like vim, but I come from a Unix background, and if you don't already
know vim, you'ld probably be better starting off with something else.

IDLE (Guido's IDE) is also up on my favourites list.

Later,
Blake.
help [ In reply to ]
In article <slrn7ggbie.3rq.bwinton@tor.dhs.org>, bwinton@iname.com wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:58:52 +1200, nfbb <nfbb@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi there - I'm running Windows 98 and was wondering what the best program
> >for writing python Source code is under this operating system?
>
> I like vim, but I come from a Unix background, and if you don't already
> know vim, you'ld probably be better starting off with something else.
>
> IDLE (Guido's IDE) is also up on my favourites list.
>
> Later,
> Blake.

Where do you find the latest IDLE?
Searches on the web are not helpful, and on the Python.org site the search
points to the CVS directories?

thanks
help [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 05 Apr 1999 04:39:21 GMT, SH <email@domain.com> wrote:
>In article <slrn7ggbie.3rq.bwinton@tor.dhs.org>, I wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:58:52 +1200, nfbb <nfbb@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I'm running Windows 98 and was wondering what the best program for
>> >writing python Source code is under this operating system?
>> IDLE (Guido's IDE) is also up on my favourites list.
>Where do you find the latest IDLE? Searches on the web are not
>helpful, and on the Python.org site the search points to the CVS
>directories?

It comes with the latest Python source release, available from the usual
places.

Later,
Blake.
Re: help [ In reply to ]
Hello Neha,

> hello sir,
> i want to know what r advantages of
> using perl over python and tcl for network programming
> at tcp/ip layer.

Bye.
Re: help [ In reply to ]
I see no problem with finding existing code on the Internet and used to
learn a subject, so long as it isn't just stolen and handed in as is.

I guess I still believe people are good, no matter how hard Usenet and
IRC tries to convince me otherwise.

Re: help [ In reply to ]
Steve Holden wrote:

> Alexander wrote:
>
>> hi, my name is alexander. i'm from indonesia
>> i wanna ask, is there Pygoogle with GUI? because i've got assignment
>> from my teacher to make an user interface for Pygoogle. if there's a
>> Pygoogle with GUI, can u tell me where to find it.
>>
> So "make" now means "pull from the Internet"?

Huh! When I was in school, we needed to intimidate the
brainy kid with glasses to plagarise our assignments.
We didn't have strangers half-way across the world
offering to do our work for us for free. Kids today
have it easy.

--
Steven.

Re: help [ In reply to ]
For such a simple task, I would use MATLAB.
http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/

However, if you have to do generic programming in addition to this, I
would use Python with the libraries ImageMagick or Python Image Library
(PIL). Just search for them and you'll have all the examples you need.

Re: help [ In reply to ]
In article <1146132937.050193.220710@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
NavyJay <gaudetteje@gmail.com> wrote:
>For such a simple task, I would use MATLAB.
>http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/
.
[pertinent Python comments]
.
.
... and some people would use Octave or Yorick or ...
Matlab is indeed a market leader, but proprietary. For
situations in which *that* is an issue, Octave and Yorick
are leading open-source alternatives.
Re: Help [ In reply to ]
Rrajal wrote:
> Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell me from
> where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

Some books that helped me:

Python Bible by Dave Brueck and Stephen Tanner
Python Cookbook by Alex Martelli, Anna Martelli Revenscroft &
David Ascher
Python programming on Win 32 by Mark Hammond & Andy Robinson

-Larry Bates
Re: Help [ In reply to ]
I have yet to find a language/community with better online
documentation. I taught myself with the Python tutorial found at
http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html. I would look there first. If you
are new to programming altogether I think Python may still be a good
choice, but that may not be the _best_ reference.

Re: Help [ In reply to ]
Rrajal wrote:
> Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell me from
> where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

You don't provide much info about where you are in your learning cycle.
New to programming? New to Python? Both?

If you do use the Tutorial, use the newest version:

http://docs.python.org/dev/tut/tut.html

Re: Help [ In reply to ]
Matimus wrote:
>> Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell me from
>> where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

http://www.diveintopython.org/
That did the trick for me. It is, however, "a Python book for
experienced programmers" (quoted from website). Not too tough, but if
you have no clue of programming at all, maybe have a look at

http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python.php
It called "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" (the title sounds
dryer than the book really is, trust me). Very good as well.
Re: Help [ In reply to ]
"Rrajal" <rrajal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell me from
> where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

You need look no further than Python's own web site.

<URL:http://www.python.org/doc/>

Of course, you *can* look further if you want to -- and eventually
you'll want to. But start at the source.

--
\ "God forbid that any book should be banned. The practice is as |
`\ indefensible as infanticide." -- Dame Rebecca West |

Re: Help [ In reply to ]
> From: "Rrajal" <rrajal@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, Sep 18 2006 9:50 am
> Subject: Re: Help
> Groups: comp.lang.python
>
> Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell
> me from where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

do you have some kind of programming background? if so,
good intro books include Hetland's "Beginning Python",
Pilgrim's "Dive into Python", and O'Reilly's "Learning Python".
there is an online version of Dive at http://diveintopython.org
if you're looking for something more comprehensive, i wrote
"Core Python Programming", but it is much longer than the
others, so if you want a quick intro, it would not be for you.

here's a nice list and description of most Python books:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks

for those are are new to programming altogether, you can
try Dawson's "Absolute Beginner" or the "Learn to Program"
by Gauld, but since it's dated, it's best to check out Alan's
tutorial at:http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

cheers!
-- wesley
http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com
Re: Help [ In reply to ]
wesley chun wrote:
> > From: "Rrajal" <rrajal@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, Sep 18 2006 9:50 am
> > Subject: Re: Help
> > Groups: comp.lang.python
> >
> > Hi there, I am new in this subject so could you please tell
> > me from where I can get help (or good e-book) of python?

Don't forget *the Python tutorial* found at

<http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html>

This tutorial is the first and best. It doesn't cost anything and is
always the most up to date and correct.

Regs PR

Re: Help [ In reply to ]
Clement wrote:

> how to use Python/C API ............

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

HTH ............

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #235:

The new frame relay network hasn't bedded down the software loop
transmitter yet.

Re: help [ In reply to ]
pierre-yves guido a écrit :
> hello (I hope my english is not so bad),

De ce point de vue là, ça peut aller...

> I'm doing a training course and I'm a newbie in Python. My problem :
> I have a form,

HTML form ? GUI form ? In both cases, using which
environment/libs/framework ?

> and when I click,

Where ?

> I make an update. But all the
> parameters are all required to make the update. So I'd like to put in my
> code something like [optional]...
>
> My code (simplyfied) :
>
> prg.ev_ind_update(wf_pk_ev_ind=wf_pk_ev_ind,wf_fonction=wf_fonction,wf_nom=wf_nom)

May I suggest the use of humanly readable meaningfull names ?

> and so, when I put nothing in wf_nom, it put me that error :"the
> parameter wf_nom...was omitted from the request...".

Looks like some Zope stuff.

> But sometimes,
> wf_nom is not required !

Then make it an optional parameter. How to do so depends on context not
given here, so we can't help much unless you post enough informations.
Re: help [ In reply to ]
Bruno Desthuilliers a écrit :
> pierre-yves guido a écrit :
>
>> hello (I hope my english is not so bad),
>

> De ce point de vue là, ça peut aller...

Oh, yes, while we're at it, I forgot to mention: there's also a french
Python newsgroup, fr.comp.lang.python. It's far from being as active as
this one[1][2], but it's as friendly and tries very hard to be as
helpful !-)

[1] this can be seen positive too - at least your posts won't go
unnoticed !-)

[2] anyway, very few newsgroups are as active (abd friendly and helpful)
as c.l.py
Re: help [ In reply to ]
On 2007-11-05, devel001@gmail.com <devel001@gmail.com> wrote:
> please open this link==== this is will help you
>
> http://www.55a.net

This one might help as well:

http://www.python.org/

Re: help [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:59:55 +0000, X1 wrote:

> I have this program that fails:
>
> $ vapt
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/bin/vapt", line 3, in <module>
> from vapt import vapt
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vapt/__init__.py", line 11, in
> <module>
> __import__(name, glob, loc, [])
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vapt/cadview.py", line 13, in
> <module>
> import OpenGL.Tk as gltk
> ImportError: No module named Tk
>

> can you help me?
> This is on fedora

The OpenGL.Tk module is looking for the Tk module and not finding it.
Install the Tk module.

Try "sudo easy_install Tk".
Re: help [ In reply to ]
> Thanks,
> I have the Tk module installed, but the program still fails. Probably it
> is a problem of path?

That would be my guess - that the Tk module is installed somewhere other
than where OpenGL.Tk is looking for it.

Re: help [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/2011 12:56 PM, Redcat wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:59:55 +0000, X1 wrote:
>
>> I have this program that fails:
>>
>> $ vapt
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/local/bin/vapt", line 3, in<module>
>> from vapt import vapt
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vapt/__init__.py", line 11, in
>> <module>
>> __import__(name, glob, loc, [])
>> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vapt/cadview.py", line 13, in
>> <module>
>> import OpenGL.Tk as gltk
>> ImportError: No module named Tk
>>

>> can you help me?
>> This is on fedora
>
> The OpenGL.Tk module is looking for the Tk module and not finding it.
> Install the Tk module.

Or there is no OpenGL.Tk module

>>> import itertools.xxx
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
import itertools.xxx
ImportError: No module named xxx

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: help [ In reply to ]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=easy_install+fedora
Re: help [ In reply to ]
On Oct 8, 2:51 pm, X1<x...@x1.x1.x1.net> wrote:

> easy_install does not exist on Fedora.

That's a pure lie.

mitmanek:~ $ sudo repoquery -qf /usr/bin/easy_install
python-setuptools-0:0.6.10-3.el6.noarch
mitmanek:~ $

Matěj
Re: help [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:16:47 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2:51 pm, X1<x...@x1.x1.x1.net> wrote:
>>
>> easy_install does not exist on Fedora.
>
> That's a pure lie.

Rather than assume malice, we should give X1 the benefit of the doubt and
assume he genuinely believed what he wrote but was merely mistaken.

--
Steven