Mailing List Archive

Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further
THis is Guido's reply to my comments that tcl80.dll is not found
by IDLE on a default installation.

> > > Running "IDLE (Python GUI)" reports that tcl80.dll is
> > > not in my path then the shell comes up and I can
> > > use Tkinter from the shell.
> > >
> > > Just in case this might be involved my Windows NT system
> > > is on G: not C:.
> >
> > To solve this one, I think you'll have to edit your autoexec.bat to
> > add the Tcl directory (containing that DLL) to the PATH variable. For
> > various reasons I do not believe it is a good idea to copy the Tcl/Tk
> > DLL files into the Python directory, nor do I think it is possible to
> > reliably edit autoexec.bat in the installer. Instead, Tkinter.py
> > imports a hack module, FixTk.py, which searches for tcl80.dll in a few
> > places and then patches the PATH environment variable of the running
> > process, but this is not failsafe either. :-(
>
> It would be nice if I did not have to edit the path manually.
> Suggest that the install edits the path or you use the registry
> to find the tcl80.dll image.

I wish I could. The installer is very stupid. Windows sucks :-(

> 1) The PATH is a registry key on NT. I don't have an autoexec.bat,
> isn't for MS-DOS compatibility only these days?

No, it's still needed on Windows 98 and 98.

> The machines PATH is in
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
>
> 2a) I notice that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TclShell\shell\open\command
> contains a default value which is how to run wish. e.g.
>
> G:\PROGRA~1\Tcl\bin\wish80.exe "%1"
>
> tcl80.dll is in the same dir as wish80.exe.
>
> 2b)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
> lists all the shared files on the system. There is an value
> "G:\Program Files\Tcl\bin\tcl80.dll" with the date 0x0000001 against it.
>
> 2c) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Scriptics\Tcl\8.0
> contains the default value field with the data G:\PROGRA~1\Tcl
>
> The DLL being in data + "\tcl80.dll".
>
> BArry
Please take it up on the newsgroup -- there are many people with
similar interests and more understanding of Windows than I have!

Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
>I wish I could. The installer is very stupid. Windows sucks :-(

Is the WISE installer unable to deal with Win 9X vs. NT and handle
registry queries and updates? I'm sure that I can do this with
InstallShield (a poorly designed, annoying, but functional installer).

As for the tcl80.dll problems. Either assume that tcl80.dll is in the
standard (english) installation place
%systemdrive%\program files\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll.

OR release note that users must add the Tcl bin dir to there PATH.

As the python lib does not have a module to access the registry it makes
getting the info from the registry hard.

Maybe 1.6 needs a windows registry module to solve this and
other problems.

BArry
Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
I find that if I copy the Tcl/Tk DLLS to the DLLs folder after installing
Python152 that I have no problems. This has worked for me with both WinNT
and Win95/98
I also use wise installer to distrubute this release along with my modified
IDLE files to the engineers that I support. I just have my installer perform
this copy after executing the Python release process.
Sam Schulenburg

Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
Barry Scott <barry@scottbb.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I wish I could. The installer is very stupid. Windows sucks :-(
>
> Is the WISE installer unable to deal with Win 9X vs. NT and handle
> registry queries and updates? I'm sure that I can do this with
> InstallShield (a poorly designed, annoying, but functional installer).

I have an older version of WISE - it reports the OS version as well as
supports reading and writing to the registry (and trivially adding things to
the path in autoexec)
Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
--------------70D5FBCC2B9FF8E0C7360222

Barry Scott wrote:

> >I wish I could. The installer is very stupid. Windows sucks :-(
>
> Is the WISE installer unable to deal with Win 9X vs. NT and handle
> registry queries and updates? I'm sure that I can do this with
> InstallShield (a poorly designed, annoying, but functional installer).

WISE sure can. We use it every other day and it really works a lot better than
InstallShield.

> As for the tcl80.dll problems. Either assume that tcl80.dll is in the
> standard (english) installation place
> %systemdrive%\program files\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll.

Mmm, since I'm not an English-language OS user, I'd rather see that as
%programfolder%\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll (I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure there
is a way to refer in a language-independent way to the folder that the US
version calls "Program Files" since we use it in our installations.

> OR release note that users must add the Tcl bin dir to there PATH.

Might as well (and make them aware that they need it some way or another).

> As the python lib does not have a module to access the registry it makes
> getting the info from the registry hard.
>
> Maybe 1.6 needs a windows registry module to solve this and
> other problems.

?
We use Mark Hammond's extensions and have no problem at all in fetching things
from the registry. Might just ask him and fold in the registry-access stuff.

> BArry

Mauro

--------------70D5FBCC2B9FF8E0C7360222

begin:vcard
n:Cicognini;Mauro
tel;cell:+39 335 6197363
tel;fax:+39 030 2209238
tel;work:+39 030 24411
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Siosistemi S.r.l.
version:2.1
email;internet:mcicogni@siosistemi.it
title:Software Group Mgr.
adr;quoted-printable:;;via Cefalonia 58=0D=0A25124 Brescia BS=0D=0AItaly;Brescia;BS;25124;Italy
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6096
fn:Mauro Cicognini
end:vcard

--------------70D5FBCC2B9FF8E0C7360222--
Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
Mauro Cicognini <mcicogni@siosistemi.it> wrote in message
> Mmm, since I'm not an English-language OS user, I'd rather see that as
> %programfolder%\tcl\bin\tcl80.dll (I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure
there
> is a way to refer in a language-independent way to the folder that the US
> version calls "Program Files" since we use it in our installations.

Its in the registry - but python cannot access the registry. So this
hack would not
work for none english systems.

> We use Mark Hammond's extensions and have no problem at all in fetching
things
> from the registry. Might just ask him and fold in the registry-access
stuff.

Mark's nice extensions are not in the base kit so cannot be used to
solve
problems requiring registry access.

I think its important that python without add on's can access the
registry under
Windows. It is a fundamental requirement on Windows.

BArry
Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
Perhaps I'm missing some context here, but doesn't this thread refer to the
Windows Python Install program generated by Wise? If so, Wise *by default*
fetches %PROGRAM_FILES% on systems which support it.

<924903282.24080.0.nnrp-10.9e982a40@news.demon.co.uk>...

Windows install has problems. Guido asked that I use this newsgroup to discus further [ In reply to ]
Barry Scott wrote in message
<924903282.24080.0.nnrp-10.9e982a40@news.demon.co.uk>...
> I think its important that python without add on's can access the
>registry under
> Windows. It is a fundamental requirement on Windows.

FYI, Guido has basically agreed that the Win32 registry functions (and
likely support for native Windows handles) will move into the core in the
1.6 timeframe.

Mark.