Mailing List Archive

GNU gettext and python
I will internazionalize one application written python. My favoite
tool
is gettext. I have found some support for gettext, most recent in
py-gnome package. It works well but only for simple strings like
"Hello
world". The the application uses multi-line string (it is listserv),
like
'''From: %s
To: %s

llll
kkkk
jjjj
'''

etc.

But I am not able to bring this strings into getext. The format of
.po
files does not expect string like this and when I use many single
line
strings, the application does not find the localized version of
messages.

Is here someone, who has solved this? Or has some sugestion?

Thanks
dan
GNU gettext and python [ In reply to ]
Dan Ohnesorg <dan@feld.cvut.cz> writes:

> I will internazionalize one application written python. My favoite
> tool
> is gettext. I have found some support for gettext, most recent in
> py-gnome package. It works well but only for simple strings like
> "Hello
> world". The the application uses multi-line string (it is listserv),
> like
> '''From: %s
> To: %s
>
> llll
> kkkk
> jjjj
> '''
>
> etc.
>
> But I am not able to bring this strings into getext. The format of
> .po
> files does not expect string like this and when I use many single
> line
> strings, the application does not find the localized version of
> messages.
>
> Is here someone, who has solved this? Or has some sugestion?

You can put multi-line messages into po-files like this (taken from
Sketch):

#: ../Sketch/UI/styledlg.py:175
msgid ""
"The name `%(name)s' is already used.\n"
"Please choose another one."
msgstr ""
"Der Name »%(name)s« ist bereits vergeben.\n"
"Bitten wählen Sie einen Anderen"

It certainly works for me under Linux/glibc2.

HTH

--
Bernhard Herzog | Sketch, a python based drawing program
herzog@online.de | http://www.online.de/home/sketch/