Mailing List Archive

PPSI's "Quick Ref." and Lutz' "Pocket Ref."
Having never seen PPSI's "Python Quick Reference" as advertised
on pythonpros.com on paper I wonder how it compares to Mark Lutz'
"Python Pocket Reference"? I understand the former is much shorter,
but I wonder if it will be continued, filling a different niche,
updated to 1.5.2 (if need be) or swallowed one day by O'Reilly,
too? I think they are already selling or giving away reference
cards for GNU Emacs and the like.

Thanks,

Dinu

---
Dinu C. Gherman : Women inspire us to great things and
: prevent us from achieving them. (Dumas)
LHS International AG : http://www.lhsgroup.com
8050 Zurich : http://www.zurich.ch
Switzerland : http://pgp.ai.mit.edu
: mobile://49.172.3060751
......................:.........................................
Vote against SPAM on http://www.politik-digital.de/spam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
PPSI's "Quick Ref." and Lutz' "Pocket Ref." [ In reply to ]
"Dinu C. Gherman" <gherman@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Having never seen PPSI's "Python Quick Reference" as advertised
> on pythonpros.com on paper I wonder how it compares to Mark Lutz'
> "Python Pocket Reference"?

*Drumroll* - they're different. There, that was a surprise.

But seriously, I do think they address different sorts of minds/niches,
really.

The PPSI quick ref is a "traditional" reference card. It is suitable
for standing up on end on one's desk, or for losing amidst the
paperwork on same when it falls over. It doesn't fit in my pocket
(or at least not without risk of crumpling, which I don't want to do).
It was evidently written with care, and it is a reference I find very
useful as it is formatted in a way I find easy to look at and scan.
Compare it to the "traditional" Emacs ref card.

Lutz's pocket reference is a little book, which DOES fit in my pocket,
and because it is a book it is rather more robust. It is, of course,
also harder to lay down (open) on the desk without destroying it. I
find the typesetting to be a bit "loose" for my taste, with a
corresponding spread of information over pages. It contains extra
information about non-directly-Python things (e.g., [X]Emacs Python
mode, etc.), and a lot more text attempting to give short explanations
(which PPSI QR does not). There are some inaccuracies, but that is
inevitable. Probably true of the QR as well.

Personally, I think I would prefer the "tutorial" section out of the
back of Programming Python if I had to have one pocket reference from
him, but I suspect that would be harder to do "politically".

I am happy to have both - I will carry the Lutz in my pocket if I want
a portable ref, and keep the QR in one place so it doesn't get bent
(damn, I should have bought 2 for myself). If I had to have one I'd go
for the QR, but that may just be me.

As to futures - I hope the PPSI will bring out another edition some
day, but I doubt it is necessary yet.

Tibs
--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/