Mailing List Archive

Grimoire [was: How do I defect?]
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Matthew Dixon Cowles wrote:

> > So how do I defect from Perl to Python? I
> > have the Programming Python book on order.
> > What can I read to get started ASAP?

The tutorial is what I recommend you get started with. However, I'd like
to also put a little plug for a new document I discovered by accident
(well, surfing =). Andrew Kuchling is too modest to advertise it, but his
Python Grimoire is a good document to get a feel for common tasks in
Python. It's at:

http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/grimoire/

It's a good thing to read just after the tutorial.

Cheers,

--david ascher
Grimoire [was: How do I defect?] [ In reply to ]
David Ascher wrote:
> Andrew Kuchling is too modest to advertise it, but his
> Python Grimoire is a good document to get a feel for common tasks in
> Python. It's at:
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/grimoire/
>
> It's a good thing to read just after the tutorial.

I second that! This looks like a really useful document indeed. Thanks
Andrew!

Me-too-ly,

Martijn
Grimoire [was: How do I defect?] [ In reply to ]
David Ascher writes:
>On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Matthew Dixon Cowles wrote:
>The tutorial is what I recommend you get started with. However, I'd like
>to also put a little plug for a new document I discovered by accident
>(well, surfing =). Andrew Kuchling is too modest to advertise it, ...

I don't advertise it because it's nowhere near finished; I
wanted to write a chapter on classes first, because that's the major
missing piece. It's on my Web pages for the odd person who comes
across it -- some nice people have even sent me corrections already.

However, since it's been outed... the Grimoire is a
task-oriented manual, structured along the same lines as the Perl
Cookbook from O'Reilly -- each chapter covers a topic, starting with a
general introduction, and followed by sections that explain various
common questions (derived from FAQs, newsgroup discussions, the tutor
list, etc.)

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
In cyberspace everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.