have the Programming Python book on order.
What can I read to get started ASAP?

Thanks.

How do I defect? [ In reply to ]

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 <*> http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

"I'm not tense, i'm just terribly, terribly alert" -- unknown
How do I defect? [ In reply to ]
wrote:

> I use Perl because of the nifty regex. But
> I hate Perl because of the data structures.

Python's re module has Perl-like regexes so you should be happy.

> If you ever need any kind of data structure
> in perl, move into a padded cubicle. Check
> into the funny farm. Flop into the loony bin.
> Perl is like LSD. It's cool and pretty and
> will slowly drive you insane.

Agreed.

> So how do I defect from Perl to Python? I
> have the Programming Python book on order.
> What can I read to get started ASAP?

Read

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

(it's short). Then skim

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

Then start writing code. Check

http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

if you run into problems. I doubt you'll have any serious trouble getting
started.

Regards,
Matt