Mailing List Archive

Scripting vs. "Real Programming"
Greetings ---

Even in the relatively short time that I've been using Python, there has
been a notable shift in the focus for the questions and comments on
C.L.P.

In the past, it seems that Python was primarily used as a scripting
language. That is to say, most of the programs written were small and
intended to run for short periods of time, generally serving one well
defined purpose.

Now, an ever greater number of the contributors to this august forum are
discussing issues that are more indicative of Python being used for large
and complex programs. Some of the topics that highlight this change
include:

* Garbage Collection
* Threading
* Forking
* Interprocess Communications

It is a credit to our founding fathers (especially Guido) that Python is
so well equipped with these tools. In general, they are complete and
robust (my desire for more garbage collection does not imply that the
current interpreter leaks memory, but rather that I can't be trusted to
clean up after myself).

What seems to be lacking are guides for creating large, stable programs
using these tools.

My wife is expecting a deliverable in about a month, after which I expect
that there may be a few late nights. During this time, I hope to add a few
entries to the FAQ regarding this topic.

I would be grateful if people would offer suggestions for both questions
and answers. I will attempt to collate the existing knowledge, as well as
adding my own limited contributions.

I am at your service,
--- Robert

Robert Meegan