Mailing List Archive

build of python 1.5.2 with threads on SunOs 5.6 fails
Hi,

I compiled Python 1.5.2 on SunOS 5.6/Solaris 2.6 without threads
successfully. But doing a configure --with-threads, and make results in
the following error:

cd Modules; make OPT="-g -O2" VERSION="1.5" \
prefix="/usr/local" exec_prefix="/usr/local" \
LIBRARY=../libpython1.5.a link
gcc python.o \
../libpython1.5.a -lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lthread -lm -o python
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
Py_Main python.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `link'
Current working directory /u/src/Python-1.5.2/Modules
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'

any help is welcome

Joachim Schmitz
build of python 1.5.2 with threads on SunOs 5.6 fails [ In reply to ]
Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> I compiled Python 1.5.2 on SunOS 5.6/Solaris 2.6 without threads
> successfully. But doing a configure --with-threads, and make results
> in the following error:

Joachim,

I'd guess this problem is caused by first configuring
Python without threads. Configure is probably using a
stale config.status -- you can check Modules/Setup.thread.

A 'make clean' might be the easy way to fix your problem.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.
build of python 1.5.2 with threads on SunOs 5.6 fails [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Jeff Bauer wrote:

> Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> > I compiled Python 1.5.2 on SunOS 5.6/Solaris 2.6 without threads
> > successfully. But doing a configure --with-threads, and make results
> > in the following error:
>
> Joachim,
>
> I'd guess this problem is caused by first configuring
> Python without threads. Configure is probably using a
> stale config.status -- you can check Modules/Setup.thread.
>
> A 'make clean' might be the easy way to fix your problem.

That obviously didn´t remove libpython1.5.a. After removing it and doing a
make again, it works now.

thanks for the hint.

Joachim Schmitz
build of python 1.5.2 with threads on SunOs 5.6 fails [ In reply to ]
Joachim Schmitz wrote:

> > A 'make clean' might be the easy way to fix your problem.
> >

> That obviously didn´t remove libpython1.5.a. After removing it and doing a
> make again, it works now.

I blew a couple of hours on this problem once.
I should have looked at the Makefile a lot sooner.

"make clean" simply removes object files and such.

"make clobber" does a "make clean" and removes a previous run's
libpython, python executable, and configuration information. If
you want to build Python a second time with a new configuration,
run "make clobber" before reconfiguring and running make.

Tom Bryan
Applied Research Laboratories
University of Texas at Austin