way the Perl module has? I'm interested in supporting keymaps and
asynchronous reads from the terminal.

Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
complete GNU readline support? [ In reply to ]
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to access some advanced GNU readline capabilities from Python
> 1.5.2 but it doesn't seem that the readline module supports them. Is
> there an extension to it that has bindings to GNU readline in a similar
> way the Perl module has? I'm interested in supporting keymaps and
> asynchronous reads from the terminal.

Yeah, I think I saw something like that, but I can't find a URL. You
also might take a look at the rlcompleter module. I think together,
they do give you all the readline stuff. Make sure and look at all the
module functions, not just their enhancements to raw_input.

- Ken
complete GNU readline support? [ In reply to ]
Ken Kinder wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to access some advanced GNU readline capabilities from Python
> > 1.5.2 but it doesn't seem that the readline module supports them. Is
> > there an extension to it that has bindings to GNU readline in a similar
> > way the Perl module has? I'm interested in supporting keymaps and
> > asynchronous reads from the terminal.
>
> Yeah, I think I saw something like that, but I can't find a URL. You
> also might take a look at the rlcompleter module. I think together,
> they do give you all the readline stuff. Make sure and look at all the
> module functions, not just their enhancements to raw_input.
>
> - Ken

I did take a look at the readline support but could find what I was
interested in. I was interested in having support for all the various
hooks present in readline, for keymaps support, undo and most important
of all, in the alternate interface, that allows my programs to be listen
to multiple sockets and in the same time have a readline interface.

I ended up writing a new, complete, readline module for Python. The old
interface seems to work pretty nice. The rlcompleter module works the
same the only modification I had to do was to import the new module.

Greetings,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
complete GNU readline support? [ In reply to ]
Would you mind to release the new module?

TIA,

__Janko Hauser
--
Institut fuer Meereskunde phone: 49-431-597 3989
Dept. Theoretical Oceanography fax : 49-431-565876
complete GNU readline support? [ In reply to ]
I need to figure out some copyright issues with my company, as it was
written for a project here. I don't expect to have major problems with
the last item but it may take a while (hopefully not too much).

--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>