Mailing List Archive

Newbie running Zope(?)
Hi,

the past few days I've figured out why I got so frustrated using
Microsoft products. The whole world seems to think that the stuff MS
sells works just fine - while you get the feeling it never works
(there's always some incredibly stupid thing you should know and do in
order to make it do what it was intended for).

It's the main reason I lately started using Linux.

Trying to get Zope (1.10something) to talk with Apache (1.3.3) has all
the holemarks of the same frustrating Microsoft setup (even the failure
message looks the same).

Can anyone help me solve this mystery:

Python 1.5.1 (#1, Sep 3 1998, 22:51:17) [GCC 2.7.2.3]
Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) (Red Hat/Linux)

PCGI info file: Zope.cgi
PCGI wrapper:
/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/pcgi/bin/pcgi-wrapper
error attempting: 'from cgi_module_publisher import publish_module'
status: FAILURE

Zope.cgi
#!/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/pcgi/bin/pcgi-wrapper
PCGI_NAME=Main

PCGI_MODULE_PATH=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/Main.
py

PCGI_PUBLISHER=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/pcgi/pcgi_publishe
r.py
PCGI_EXE=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/bin/python
PCGI_SOCKET_FILE=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/var/pcgi.soc
PCGI_PID_FILE=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/var/pcgi.pid
PCGI_ERROR_LOG=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86/var/pcgi.log
PCGI_DISPLAY_ERRORS=1
PYTHONHOME=/usr/local/Zope/Zope-1.10.2-linux2-x86
BOBO_REALM=Zope
BOBO_DEBUG_MODE=1

Great stuff, isn't it?
Newbie running Zope(?) [ In reply to ]
shape wrote:
> the past few days I've figured out why I got so frustrated using
> Microsoft products. The whole world seems to think that the stuff MS
> sells works just fine - while you get the feeling it never works
> (there's always some incredibly stupid thing you should know and do in
> order to make it do what it was intended for).
>
> It's the main reason I lately started using Linux.
>
> Trying to get Zope (1.10something) to talk with Apache (1.3.3) has all
> the holemarks of the same frustrating Microsoft setup (even the failure
> message looks the same).

Getting Apache and Zope talking is hard, due to mysteries on both ends.
In this case I think it's Apache's fault. But improving the error
reporting is something we're striving for in Zope 1.11 and beyond:

http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/4482.html

> Can anyone help me solve this mystery:
>
> Python 1.5.1 (#1, Sep 3 1998, 22:51:17) [GCC 2.7.2.3]
> Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) (Red Hat/Linux)

PCGI uses mod_rewrite to get around Apache's decision not to pass
authentication headers to CGI scripts. In your case, RedHat shipped a
broken build of Apache. It won't load the mod_rewrite module, according
to reports on the Zope list:

http://www.egroups.com/group/zope/929.html

The main reason it is so frustrating to get Apache and Zope working
together is our long-ago decision to mimic FastCGI and have the web
server be responsible for launching to process.

We are quickly getting rid of that and moving to a more classic daemon
model. Many of the really unfathomable things during about Zope will
become, IMO, a lot clearer. If you have any experience in
cross-platform daemon management, please pitch in with suggestions!

--Paul
Newbie running Zope(?) [ In reply to ]
Thanx!

I will try and reconfigure a new Apache distribution.

My problem (running Zope with my RedHat 5.2 Apache distribution) might
be something to report on the www.zope.org site, somewhere in the
support domain, since it's such a common problem.

I'm probably hooked on Zope by the time you read this.

greetings
Felix
Newbie running Zope(?) [ In reply to ]
shape wrote:

> Thanx!
>
> I will try and reconfigure a new Apache distribution.
>
> My problem (running Zope with my RedHat 5.2 Apache distribution) might
> be something to report on the www.zope.org site, somewhere in the
> support domain, since it's such a common problem.
>
> I'm probably hooked on Zope by the time you read this.

Hoi Felix :)

By the way, discussion on Zope issues are probably better done on the
Zope mailing list (lots of traffic though, so be warned). You can use:

to subscribe.

Is-the-guilty-person-who-made-Felix-look-at-Python-and-Zope-ly yours,

Martijn
Newbie running Zope(?) [ In reply to ]
In article <372B70BD.7FB7DE5E@digicool.com>,
Paul Everitt <paul@digicool.com> wrote:

>shape wrote:
>> the past few days I've figured out why I got so frustrated using
>> Microsoft products. The whole world seems to think that the stuff MS
>> sells works just fine - while you get the feeling it never works
>> (there's always some incredibly stupid thing you should know and do in
>> order to make it do what it was intended for).
>>
>> It's the main reason I lately started using Linux.
>>
>> Trying to get Zope (1.10something) to talk with Apache (1.3.3) has all
>> the holemarks of the same frustrating Microsoft setup (even the failure
>> message looks the same).
>
>Getting Apache and Zope talking is hard, due to mysteries on both ends.
>In this case I think it's Apache's fault. But improving the error
>reporting is something we're striving for in Zope 1.11 and beyond:
.
.
.
>The main reason it is so frustrating to get Apache and Zope working
>together is our long-ago decision to mimic FastCGI and have the web
>server be responsible for launching to process.
>
>We are quickly getting rid of that and moving to a more classic daemon
>model. Many of the really unfathomable things during about Zope will
>become, IMO, a lot clearer. If you have any experience in
>cross-platform daemon management, please pitch in with suggestions!
>
>--Paul

How to distinguish Zope from Microsoft products:
1. The president of Microsoft doesn't answer
Usenet questions.
2. Microsoft employees don't believe error
messages matter.
3. The president of Microsoft doesn't explain
plans to reverse design decisions.
4. Digicool happily incorporates ideas from
customers.
5. Digicool doesn't have employees whose job
is to propagate misinformation.
6. It matters to Digicool that Zope is elegant,
efficient, ...

References available on request. Libel suits cheerfully
and vigorously defended.
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird@NeoSoft.com +1 281 996 8546 FAX