Mailing List Archive

PythonOS anyone?
Probably not likely I know, but has anyone looked at OSKit from the Flux
Research Group at the University of Utah? From the website
(http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/oskit/):

"""The OSKit a framework and a set of 31 component libraries
oriented to operating systems, together with extensive documentation. By
providing in a modular way not only most of the infrastructure "grunge"
needed by an OS, but also many higher-level components, the OSKit's goal
is to lower the barrier to entry to OS R&D and to lower its costs. The
OSKit makes it vastly easier to create a new OS, port an existing OS to
the x86 (or in the future, to other architectures supported by the
OSkit), or enhance an OS to support a wider range of devices, file
system formats, executable formats, or network services."""

From a paper describing OSKit
(ftp://mancos.cs.utah.edu/papers/oskit-sosp97.html):

"""
6.1.4 Java

Finally, in a project to create a Java [19] environment on the raw
hardware, we started with Kaffe [34], a freely available and portable
Java virtual machine and just-in-time compiler. Kaffe is written for a
standard POSIX environment, requiring support for file I/O calls such as
open and read, as well as BSD's socket API. It implements its own
user-level thread system, for which it relies on some minimal signal
handling facilities and timer support. Our implementation goals were to
provide a prototype Java-based ``network computer'' called Java/PC, and
an active network router. Our research goals are to explore resource
management issues, comparing this Java system on the bare hardware to a
Java system atop the Fluke microkernel.

Building Java/PC atop the OSKit was remarkably easy: one Utah student,
at that time not a major contributor to the OSKit, took just 14 hours to
get the system to run a ``Hello, World'' Java application; large
single-threaded applications, such as Sun's Java compiler, ran the next
day. Less than three weeks later he had built a usable system that ran
complex applications such as the Jigsaw Web Server [7], making extensive
use of threads, timers, and file and network I/O. The resulting system
is similar in function to Sun's JavaOS [33] but with a dramatically
different implementation. Whereas almost all components in our system
reuse existing C-based components provided by the OSKit, Sun's was
primarily written anew in Java and took much longer to build.
"""

Is it possible to do the same for Python as well? I don't know of any
real value in doing so beyond providing ammunition for language wars,
but I think it would simply be extremely cool if nothing else.

--
Robert Kern |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high