If anyone has experience writing applications directly to the Oracle Call
Interface (OCI), in Python or JPython please send me examples or references on
how to do it.

Oracle Call Interface [ In reply to ]
> If anyone has experience writing applications directly to the Oracle Call
> Interface (OCI), in Python or JPython please send me examples or references on
> how to do it.

Yuck! What are you planning to do? Do you really really need to write
directly to the OCI or can you use one of the available Oracle extension
modules?

About a year ago, I used the oracledb module from Digital Creations with
Oracle7. It's very nice, but not optimized, and thus slow for large
queries. Since then, Digital Creations has made DCOracle
(http://www.digicool.com/DCOracle/; their commercial extension module)
open source, so I guess that will replace oracledb. I haven't looked at
it, but according to the FAQ, it's "much faster."

I strongly advise you to use an extension module or JDBC if at all
possible. Writing to the OCI is extremely ugly -- all the stuff we try to
avoid by using python!

Jeff
Oracle Call Interface [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey Chang wrote:

> > If anyone has experience writing applications directly to the Oracle Call
> > Interface (OCI), in Python or JPython please send me examples or references on
> > how to do it.
>
> Yuck! What are you planning to do? Do you really really need to write
> directly to the OCI or can you use one of the available Oracle extension
> modules?
>
> About a year ago, I used the oracledb module from Digital Creations with
> Oracle7. It's very nice, but not optimized, and thus slow for large
> queries. Since then, Digital Creations has made DCOracle
> (http://www.digicool.com/DCOracle/; their commercial extension module)
> open source, so I guess that will replace oracledb. I haven't looked at
> it, but according to the FAQ, it's "much faster."
>
> I strongly advise you to use an extension module or JDBC if at all
> possible. Writing to the OCI is extremely ugly -- all the stuff we try to
> avoid by using python!

ODBC/JDBC solutions suffer from "least-common-denominator" symptom; one can't
easily exploit Oracleisms. I haven't played with DCOracle yet, but wrapping OCI
into a nice Pythonic package would be a big win in some situations (passing
array parameters to stored procedures is the one I most often want).

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com 713-523-6582
Palladion Software http://www.palladion.com
Oracle Call Interface [ In reply to ]
I was interested in using Oracle's Advanced Queuing (AQ), specifically the
asynchronous event notification features.

Thanks