Mailing List Archive

Re: Multiplication
On 01/04/2024 10.40, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Q: How can I multiply two variables in Python? I tried:
>
> a = 2
> b = 3
> print( ab )
>
> but it did not work.
>
> A: No, this cannot work. To multiply, you need the multiplication
> operator. You can import the multiplication operator from "math":
>
> Code example:
>
> from math import *
>
> a = 2
> b = 3
> print( a * b )

I guess the operator "*" can be imported from any module... :-)

bye,

--

piergiorgio

Re: Multiplication [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:26?PM Piergiorgio Sartor via Python-list
<python-list@python.org> wrote:

> On 01/04/2024 10.40, Stefan Ram wrote:
> > Q: How can I multiply two variables in Python? I tried:
> >
> > a = 2
> > b = 3
> > print( ab )
> >
> > but it did not work.
> >
> > A: No, this cannot work. To multiply, you need the multiplication
> > operator. You can import the multiplication operator from "math":
> >
> > Code example:
> >
> > from math import *
> >
> > a = 2
> > b = 3
> > print( a * b )
>
> I guess the operator "*" can be imported from any module... :-)
>
> bye,
>
> --
>
> piergiorgio

>>> a = 3
>>> b = 5
>>> print(a*b)
15

No import is necessary.

--
Joel Goldstick
Re: Multiplication [ In reply to ]
On 2024-04-01 12:35, Joel Goldstick via Python-list wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:26?PM Piergiorgio Sartor via Python-list
^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> from math import *
>>>
>>> a = 2
>>> b = 3
>>> print( a * b )
>>
>> I guess the operator "*" can be imported from any module... :-)
> No import is necessary.

Of course not. Check the date on the message.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.

Re: Multiplication [ In reply to ]
Is this a April 1 post for fools.

Multiplication with an asterisk symbol is built into python.

The same symbol used in other contexts has other contexts has an assortment
of largely unrelated meanings such as meaning everything when used to
import.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024, 1:27?PM Piergiorgio Sartor via Python-list <

Re: Multiplication [ In reply to ]
The April Fools joke was on those of us who never received/have yet to
receive @Stefan's OP.

On 2/04/24 08:02, Avi Gross via Python-list wrote:
> Is this a April 1 post for fools.
>
> Multiplication with an asterisk symbol is built into python.
>
> The same symbol used in other contexts has other contexts has an assortment
> of largely unrelated meanings such as meaning everything when used to
> import.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024, 1:27?PM Piergiorgio Sartor via Python-list <
> python-list@python.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/2024 10.40, Stefan Ram wrote:
>>> Q: How can I multiply two variables in Python? I tried:
>>>
>>> a = 2
>>> b = 3
>>> print( ab )
>>>
>>> but it did not work.
>>>
>>> A: No, this cannot work. To multiply, you need the multiplication
>>> operator. You can import the multiplication operator from "math":
>>>
>>> Code example:
>>>
>>> from math import *
>>>
>>> a = 2
>>> b = 3