Mailing List Archive

Can u help me?
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/24 16:06, Chano Fucks via Python-list wrote:

> [image: image.png]

The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...

--
~Ethan~
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 2024-03-06 00:06, Chano Fucks via Python-list wrote:
> [image: image.png]

This list removes all images.
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 2024-03-06 00:24, Ethan Furman via Python-list wrote:
> On 3/5/24 16:06, Chano Fucks via Python-list wrote:
>
>> [image: image.png]
>
> The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
> explaining that problem can take it from here...

If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/24 16:49, MRAB via Python-list wrote:
> On 2024-03-06 00:24, Ethan Furman via Python-list wrote:
>> On 3/5/24 16:06, Chano Fucks via Python-list wrote:
>>
>>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
>> explaining that problem can take it from here...
>>
> If the repair was successful, what's the problem?

I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
installer, not Python itself).
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/24 18:44, Ethan Furman via Python-list wrote:
> On 3/5/24 16:49, MRAB via Python-list wrote:

> >> The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of
> "Repair Successful".  Hopefully somebody better at
> >> explaining that problem can take it from here...
> >>
> > If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
>
> I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python
> icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the installer, not Python itself).

that's often it, yes - you keep getting the installer when you think you
should get a snazzy Python window. Of course, you don't - Python is a
command-line/terminal program, not a windows app. Now if you tried to
launch IDLE instead, you'd get at least a window.

But we're just guessing here. Perhaps Chano will come back with an
updated question with some details.
Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 2024-03-06 01:44, Ethan Furman via Python-list wrote:
> On 3/5/24 16:49, MRAB via Python-list wrote:

> >> The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
> >> explaining that problem can take it from here...
> >>
> > If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
>
> I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
> installer, not Python itself).

There was an issue 3 years ago about renaming the installer for clarity:

https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/87322

Re: Can u help me? [ In reply to ]
On 2024-03-06, MRAB via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> On 2024-03-06 01:44, Ethan Furman via Python-list wrote:

>> > If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
>>
>> I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
>> installer, not Python itself).
>
> There was an issue 3 years ago about renaming the installer for clarity:
>
> https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/87322

Yea, this problem comes up constantly (and has for many years).

People have suggested renaming the installer so it has "setup" or
"install" in the name.

People have suggested adding text to the installer splash screen to
explain that it's the installer and not python itself, that you
already have python installed, and if you want to _run_ python instead
of _install_ python, here's how.

People have suggested having the installer remove itself by default
when it's done installing.

People have suggested lots of solutions.

AFAICT, nobody has actually done anything.