Mailing List Archive

How to replace a cell value with each of its contour cells and yield the corresponding datasets seperately in a list according to a Pandas-way?
Hello,

I have an initial dataframe with a random list of target cells (each cell
being identified with a couple (x,y)).
I want to yield four different dataframes each containing the value of one
of the contour (surrounding) cells of each specified target cell.

the surrounding cells to consider for a specific target cell are : (x-1,y),
(x,y-1),(x+1,y);(x,y+1), specifically I randomly choose 1 to 4 cells from
these and consider for replacement to the target cell.

I want to do that through a pandas-specific approach without having to
define the contour cells separately and then apply the changes on the
dataframe (but rather using an all in one approach):
for now I have written this example which I think is not Pandas specific:

*def select_target_values(dataframe, number_of_target_values):
target_cells = [] for _ in range(number_of_target_values): row_x
= random.randint(0, len(dataframe.columns) - 1) col_y =
random.randint(0, len(dataframe) - 1) target_cells.append((row_x,
col_y)) return target_cellsdef select_contours(target_cells):
contour_coordinates = [(0, 1), (1, 0), (0, -1), (-1, 0)] contour_cells =
[] for target_cell in target_cells: # random contour count for
each cell contour_cells_count = random.randint(1, 4) try:
contour_cells.append( [tuple(map(lambda i, j: i + j,
(target_cell[0], target_cell[1]), contour_coordinates[iteration_]))
for iteration_ in range(contour_cells_count)]) except
IndexError: continue return contour_cellsdef
apply_contours(target_cells, contour_cells): target_cells_with_contour =
[] # create one single list of cells for idx, target_cell in
enumerate(target_cells): target_cell_with_contour = [target_cell]
target_cell_with_contour.extend(contour_cells[idx])
target_cells_with_contour.append(target_cell_with_contour)return
target_cells_with_contourdef create_possible_datasets(dataframe,
target_cells_with_contour): all_datasets_final = []
dataframe_original = dataframe.copy() #check for nans
list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets = list(filter(lambda x:
utils_tuple_list_not_contain_nan(x),
[list(tuples) for tuples in list(itertools.product(

*target_cells_with_contour))])) target_original_cells_coordinates =
list(map(lambda x: x[0],
[target_and_contour_cell for target_and_contour_cell in
target_cells_with_contour])) for
dataset_index_values in list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets:
all_datasets = [] for idx_cell in range(len(dataset_index_values)):
dataframe_cpy = dataframe.copy() dataframe_cpy.iat[
target_original_cells_coordinates[idx_cell][1],
target_original_cells_coordinates[idx_cell][ 0]] =
dataframe_original.iloc[dataset_index_values[idx_cell][1],
dataset_index_values[idx_cell][0]]
all_datasets.append(dataframe_cpy)
all_datasets_final.append(all_datasets) return all_datasets_final*

If you have a better Pandas approach (unifying all these methods into one
that make use of dataframe methods only) please let me know.

thanks!
Re: How to replace a cell value with each of its contour cells and yield the corresponding datasets seperately in a list according to a Pandas-way? [ In reply to ]
On 1/21/2024 7:37 AM, marc nicole via Python-list wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an initial dataframe with a random list of target cells (each cell
> being identified with a couple (x,y)).
> I want to yield four different dataframes each containing the value of one
> of the contour (surrounding) cells of each specified target cell.
>
> the surrounding cells to consider for a specific target cell are : (x-1,y),
> (x,y-1),(x+1,y);(x,y+1), specifically I randomly choose 1 to 4 cells from
> these and consider for replacement to the target cell.
>
> I want to do that through a pandas-specific approach without having to
> define the contour cells separately and then apply the changes on the
> dataframe

1. Why do you want a Pandas-specific approach? Many people would rather
keep code independent of special libraries if possible;

2. How big can these collections of target cells be, roughly speaking?
The size could make a big difference in picking a design;

3. You really should work on formatting code for this list. Your code
below is very complex and would take a lot of work to reformat to the
point where it is readable, especially with the nearly impenetrable
arguments in some places. Probably all that is needed is to replace all
tabs by (say) three spaces, and to make sure you intentionally break
lines well before they might get word-wrapped. Here is one example I
have reformatted (I hope I got this right):

list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets = list(filter(
lambda x: utils_tuple_list_not_contain_nan(x),
[list(tuples) for tuples in list(
itertools.product(*target_cells_with_contour))
]))

4. As an aside, it doesn't look like you need to convert all those
sequences and iterators to lists all over the place;

> (but rather using an all in one approach):
> for now I have written this example which I think is not Pandas specific:
[snip]

Re: How to replace a cell value with each of its contour cells and yield the corresponding datasets seperately in a list according to a Pandas-way? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply,

I think using a Pandas (or a Numpy) approach would optimize the execution
of the program.

Target cells could be up to 10% the size of the dataset, a good example to
start with would have from 10 to 100 values.

Let me know your thoughts, here's a reproducible example which I formatted:

from numpy import random
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
import operator
import math
from collections import deque
from queue import *
from queue import Queue
from itertools import product

[
tuple(
map(
lambda i, j: i + j,
(target_cell[0], target_cell[1]),
contour_coordinates[iteration_],
)
)
for iteration_ in range(contour_cells_count)
]
)
except IndexError:
continue
return contour_cells

def create_zipf_distribution():
zipf_dist = random.zipf(2, size=(50, 5)).reshape((50, 5))

zipf_distribution_dataset = pd.DataFrame(zipf_dist).round(3)

return zipf_distribution_dataset

def apply_contours(target_cells, contour_cells):
target_cells_with_contour = []
# create one single list of cells
for idx, target_cell in enumerate(target_cells):
target_cell_with_contour = [target_cell]
target_cell_with_contour.extend(contour_cells[idx])
target_cells_with_contour.append(target_cell_with_contour)
return target_cells_with_contour

def create_possible_datasets(dataframe, target_cells_with_contour):
all_datasets_final = []
dataframe_original = dataframe.copy()

list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets = list(
filter(
lambda x: x,
[list(tuples) for tuples in
list(product(*target_cells_with_contour))],
)
)
target_original_cells_coordinates = list(
map(
lambda x: x[0],
[
target_and_contour_cell
for target_and_contour_cell in target_cells_with_contour
],
)
)
for dataset_index_values in list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets:
all_datasets = []
for idx_cell in range(len(dataset_index_values)):
dataframe_cpy = dataframe.copy()
dataframe_cpy.iat[
target_original_cells_coordinates[idx_cell][1],
target_original_cells_coordinates[idx_cell][0],
] = dataframe_original.iloc[
dataset_index_values[idx_cell][1],
dataset_index_values[idx_cell][0]
]
all_datasets.append(dataframe_cpy)
all_datasets_final.append(all_datasets)
return all_datasets_final

def main():
zipf_dataset = create_zipf_distribution()

target_cells = select_target_values(zipf_dataset, 5)
print(target_cells)
contour_cells = select_contours(target_cells)
print(contour_cells)
target_cells_with_contour = apply_contours(target_cells, contour_cells)
datasets = create_possible_datasets(zipf_dataset,
target_cells_with_contour)
print(datasets)

main()

On 1/21/2024 11:54 AM, marc nicole wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I think using a Pandas (or a Numpy) approach would optimize the
> execution of the program.
>
> Target cells could be up to 10% the size of the dataset, a good example
> to start with would have from 10 to 100 values.

Thanks for the reformatted code. It's much easier to read and think about.

For say 100 points, it doesn't seem that "optimization" would be much of
an issue. On my laptop machine and Python 3.12, your example takes
around 5 seconds to run and print(). OTOH if you think you will go to
much larger datasets, certainly execution time could become a factor.

I would think that NumPy arrays and/or matrices would have good potential.

Is this some kind of a cellular automaton, or an image filtering process?

> [...]
> tabs by (say) three spaces, and to make sure you intentionally break
> lines well before they might get word-wrapped.  Here is one example I
> have reformatted (I hope I got this right):
>
> list_tuples_idx_cells_all_datasets = list(filter(
>     lambda x: utils_tuple_list_not_contain_nan(x),
>     [.list(tuples) for tuples in list(
>           itertools.product(*target_cells_with_contour))
>     ]))
>
> 4. As an aside, it doesn't look like you need to convert all those
> sequences and iterators to lists all over the place;
>

> > (but rather using an all in one approach):
> > for now I have written this example which I think is not Pandas
> specific:
> [snip]

Re: How to replace a cell value with each of its contour cells and yield the corresponding datasets seperately in a list according to a Pandas-way? [ In reply to ]
It is part of a larger project aiming at processing data according to a
given algorithm
Do you have any comments or any enhancing recommendations on the code?

Thanks.

Le dim. 21 janv. 2024 à 18:28, Thomas Passin via Python-list <

On 1/21/2024 1:25 PM, marc nicole wrote:
> It is part of a larger project aiming at processing data according to a
> given algorithm
> Do you have any comments or any enhancing recommendations on the code?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about either pandas or numpy, I'm afraid,
just very basic usage. Someone else will probably pitch in.