where to go.
Life should be so
complicated.....

Re: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On 2023-12-12 08:22, Steve GS via Python-list wrote:
> Maybe this already exists but
> I have never seen it in any
> editor that I have used.
>
> It would be nice to have a
> pull-down text box that lists
> all of the searches I have
> used during this session. It
> would make editing a lot
> easier if I could select the
> previous searches rather than
> having to enter it every time.
>
> If this is inappropriate to
> post this here, please tell me
> where to go.
> Life should be so
> complicated.....

EditPad has this.
Re: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Am Di., 12. Dez. 2023 um 09:28 Uhr schrieb Steve GS via Python-list
<python-list@python.org>:

> Maybe this already exists but
> I have never seen it in any
> editor that I have used.

You might want to choose Microsoft Code from its Visual Studio family
of software, or, if you're ready for a deep dive, you might try using
vim. Personally I am using both.

HTH,
Friedrich
Re: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On 2023-12-12 08:22, Steve GS via Python-list wrote:
> Maybe this already exists but
> I have never seen it in any
> editor that I have used.
>
> It would be nice to have a
> pull-down text box that lists
> all of the searches I have
> used during this session. It
> would make editing a lot
> easier if I could select the
> previous searches rather than
> having to enter it every time.
>
> If this is inappropriate to
> post this here, please tell me
> where to go.
> Life should be so
> complicated.....

EditPad has this.

So do Notepad++, EditPlus (not free but low cost, Windows only, and very
good), and I'm sure many others that are much simpler than Visual Studio
Code, for example.
Re: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/23 13:50, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
> On 2023-12-12 08:22, Steve GS via Python-list wrote:
> > Maybe this already exists but
> > I have never seen it in any
> > editor that I have used.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a
> > pull-down text box that lists
> > all of the searches I have
> > used during this session. It
> > would make editing a lot
> > easier if I could select the
> > previous searches rather than
> > having to enter it every time.
> >
> > If this is inappropriate to
> > post this here, please tell me
> > where to go.
> > Life should be so
> > complicated.....
> >
> EditPad has this.
>
> So do Notepad++, EditPlus (not free but low cost, Windows only, and very
> good), and I'm sure many others that are much simpler than Visual Studio
> Code, for example.

Every now and then I pop up and suggest people look at Eric. Odd name
for an editor? Well, it continues the long pun history in the Python
world (Eric Idle... get it?). It has search history, among many other
things, I think once it was considered to be sort of IDLE++, but it's
grown to a lot more than that. Not saying Eric is better-than-XYZ-IDE,
but it is a cool project...

RE: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
Does anything from the Visual Studio family of software have a pull down menu that lists previous searches so that I don’t have to enter them every time?

SGA

Re: IDLE editor suggestion. [ In reply to ]
On 2023-12-13 01:28, Steve GS via Python-list wrote:
> Does anything from the Visual Studio family of software have a pull down menu that lists previous searches so that I don’t have to enter them every time?
>
> SGA

Visual Studio search box has a dropdown list that's shown when you press
the down arrow key.