Mailing List Archive

Generating documentation with Sphinx
I have two questions, please (this is after reading
https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/guides/cross-referencing-with-sphinx.html#automatically-label-sections
).

This is my project structure:

my_project
api
stuff1.py
stuff2.py
lib
stuff3.py
stuff4.py
main_application.py

In my_project/main_application.py I have two functions:

def construct_response(exit_code: int, message: str) -> Response:
"""
Construct a Flask-suitable response

:param exit_code: 0 or something else
:param message: something useful
:return: a Flask-suitable response
"""

@app.route(f"/{version}/<page>", methods=[GET, POST])
def serve(page) -> Response:
"""
Do some stuff and return 200 or 500

:param page: this is a REST endpoint we are advertising to callers
:return: a Flask Response generated by construct_response
"""

Question 1: how do I embed in the serve function docstring a link to the
construct_response function?

Question 2: how do I embed in, for example, lib/stuff3.py, a link to the
construct_response function?

I tried:
:ref:`my_project/api/stuff1:construct_response`

but that gives an undefined label warning.
Re: Generating documentation with Sphinx [ In reply to ]

> def construct_response(exit_code: int, message: str) -> Response:
> """
> Construct a Flask-suitable response
>
> :param exit_code: 0 or something else
> :param message: something useful
> :return: a Flask-suitable response
> """
>

> @app.route(f"/{version}/<page>", methods=[GET, POST])
> def serve(page) -> Response:
> """
> Do some stuff and return 200 or 500
>
> :param page: this is a REST endpoint we are advertising to callers
> :return: a Flask Response generated by construct_response
> """
>

> Question 1: how do I embed in the serve function docstring a link to the
> construct_response function?
>

> Question 2: how do I embed in, for example, lib/stuff3.py, a link to the
> construct_response function?
>

> I tried:
> :ref:`my_project/api/stuff1:construct_response`
>
> but that gives an undefined label warning.

I can answer my own Question 1:
:func:`construct_response`
Re: Generating documentation with Sphinx [ In reply to ]
And I can answer my own Question 2:
:func:`my_project.main_application.construct_response`

Re: Generating documentation with Sphinx [ In reply to ]