Mailing List Archive

File system path annotations
Hello,

what is the preferred way of annotating file system paths?

This StackOverflow answer <https://stackoverflow.com/a/58541858/1062139>
(and a few others) recommend using the

str | os.PathLike

union.

However, byte arrays can be used as paths too, and including them
would make the annotation quite long.

I also believe that str confirms to the PathLike definition. Please,
correct me if I'm wrong.

And finally - using paths in Python programs is so common, that one
would expect to have a special type (or type alias) in typing. Am I
missing something?

My apologies if I'm asking the obvious, but after some googling I came
to the conclusion that information on this topic is surprisingly
limited to a few StackOverflow questions.

Best regards,

Peter
Re: File system path annotations [ In reply to ]
Op 19/06/2023 om 10:43 schreef Peter Slížik via Python-list:
> Hello,
>
> what is the preferred way of annotating file system paths?
>
> This StackOverflow answer <https://stackoverflow.com/a/58541858/1062139>
> (and a few others) recommend using the
>
> str | os.PathLike
>
> union.
>
> However, byte arrays can be used as paths too, and including them
> would make the annotation quite long.
You don't have to type out the whole thing every time. Define it somewhere:

PathLike = str | bytes | os.PathLike

and then you can use PathLike everywhere.
> I also believe that str confirms to the PathLike definition. Please,
> correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think so: os.PathLike instances must have a __fspath__() method,
which str and bytes don't have.
> And finally - using paths in Python programs is so common, that one
> would expect to have a special type (or type alias) in typing. Am I
> missing something?
I agree there should be something like that. This StackOverflow answer
(https://stackoverflow.com/a/68027757/59122) talks about something like
that: _typeshed.AnyPath. It is used in the standard library, but
apparently it doesn't exist at runtime and you need a trick to make it
work. I would expect something better to exist, but as far as I can find
out there isn't.

PEP 519 has a little section on the topic
(https://peps.python.org/pep-0519/#provide-specific-type-hinting-support):

> Provide specific type hinting support
>
> There was some consideration to providing a generic typing.PathLike
class which would allow for e.g. typing.PathLike[str] to specify a type
hint for a path object which returned a string representation.
> While potentially beneficial, the usefulness was deemed too small to
bother adding the type hint class.

> This also removed any desire to have a class in the typing module
which represented the union of all acceptable path-representing types as
that can be represented with typing.Union[str, bytes,
> os.PathLike] easily enough and the hope is users will slowly
gravitate to path objects only.

--

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the
people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions

Re: File system path annotations [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Roel. You've answered all my questions.

> [PEP 519]: ...as that can be represented with typing.Union[str, bytes,
os.PathLike] easily enough and the hope is users
> will slowly gravitate to path objects only.

I read a lot on Python and, frankly, I don't see this happening. People on
the Internet keep using *str* as their path representation choice.
Presumably, programmers don't feel the need to bother with a complex
solution if the simplest option works just fine.

Peter
Re: File system path annotations [ In reply to ]
Op 19/06/2023 om 11:44 schreef Peter Slížik:
> Thank you, Roel. You've answered all my questions.
>
> > [PEP 519]: ...as that can be represented with typing.Union[str,
> bytes, os.PathLike] easily enough and the hope is users
> > will slowly gravitate to path objects only.
>
> I read a lot on Python and, frankly, I don't see this happening.
> People on the Internet keep using /str/ as their path representation
> choice. Presumably, programmers don't feel the need to bother with a
> complex solution if the simplest option works just fine.
I agree, I don't see that happening either. I often find myself using
str for paths: often simple filenames are all that's needed, and then I
don't see much point in importing pathlib and wrapping the filenames in
Path() constructors. I do tend to switch to path objects when I start
needing to do operations on the paths, though.

--
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't
stop to think if they should"
Re: File system path annotations [ In reply to ]
On 6/19/2023 10:04 AM, Roel Schroeven via Python-list wrote:
> Op 19/06/2023 om 11:44 schreef Peter Slížik:
>> Thank you, Roel. You've answered all my questions.
>>
>> > [PEP 519]: ...as that can be represented with typing.Union[str,
>> bytes, os.PathLike] easily enough and the hope is users
>> > will slowly gravitate to path objects only.
>>
>> I read a lot on Python and, frankly, I don't see this happening.
>> People on the Internet keep using /str/ as their path representation
>> choice. Presumably, programmers don't feel the need to bother with a
>> complex solution if the simplest option works just fine.
> I agree, I don't see that happening either. I often find myself using
> str for paths: often simple filenames are all that's needed, and then I
> don't see much point in importing pathlib and wrapping the filenames in
> Path() constructors. I do tend to switch to path objects when I start
> needing to do operations on the paths, though.

If you are writing code that will run on both Windows and Linux/Mac,
pathlib objects are very useful since the path separators will come out
right with no extra effort. Also, the syntax for composing a path seems
very natural (e.g., Path('a') / 'b' / 'c'), so that's a bonus.