Mailing List Archive

txtorcon 23.5.0
Re: txtorcon 23.5.0 [ In reply to ]
Meejah,

Sorry, but, would you please consider adding a short description to this of what txtorcon is.
It’s great that your announcing the update, and highlighting the changes…if I used it, I’d be upgrading it.

But I have absolutely no idea why I would want to investigate using it, because there is no description of the package.

Well, that’s not 100% true. From my knowledge of twisted, I know it’s network based, and that’s it. I can’t tell if it’s a server, or client application.

Even just simply adding your 10,000 feet summary:

txtorcon is an implementation of the control-spec <https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/control-spec.txt> for Tor <https://www.torproject.org/> using the Twisted <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac> networking library for Python <http://python.org/>.

would have been extremely helpful.

I hope you will take this as the creative criticism that I am offering it as.

- Benjamin

Re: txtorcon 23.5.0 [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/23 06:41, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:
> Meejah, > > Sorry, but, would you please consider adding a short description
to this of what txtorcon is. > It’s great that your announcing the
update, and highlighting the changes…if I used it, I’d be upgrading it.
> > But I have absolutely no idea why I would want to investigate using
it, because there is no description of the package. > > Well, that’s not
100% true. From my knowledge of twisted, I know it’s network based, and
that’s it. I can’t tell if it’s a server, or client application. > >
Even just simply adding your 10,000 feet summary: > > txtorcon is an
implementation of the control-spec
<https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/control-spec.txt>
for Tor <https://www.torproject.org/> using the Twisted
<https://twistedmatrix.com/trac> networking library for Python
<http://python.org/>. > > would have been extremely helpful. > > I hope
you will take this as the creative criticism that I am offering it as. >
> - Benjamin > > >> On May 18, 2023, at 9:37 PM, meejah@meejah.ca
wrote: >> >>
> I'm happy to announce txtorcon 23.5.0 with the following changes:
>
>  * twisted.web.client.Agent instances now use the same HTTPS policy
>    by default as twisted.web.client.Agent.  It is possible to
>    override this policy with the tls_context_factory= argument, the
>    equivalent to Agent's contextFactory=
>    (Thanks to Itamar Turner-Trauring)
>  * Added support + testing for Python 3.11.
>  * No more ipaddress dependency
>
> You can download the release from PyPI or GitHub (or of
> course "pip install txtorcon"):
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/txtorcon/23.5.0
> https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/releases/tag/v23.5.0
>
> Releases are also available from the hidden service:
>
> http://fjblvrw2jrxnhtg67qpbzi45r7ofojaoo3orzykesly2j3c2m3htapid.onion/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz
> http://fjblvrw2jrxnhtg67qpbzi45r7ofojaoo3orzykesly2j3c2m3htapid.onion/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz.asc
>
> You can verify the sha256sum of both by running the following 4 lines
> in a shell wherever you have the files downloaded:
>
> cat <<EOF | sha256sum --check
> 93fd80a9dd505f698d0864fe93db8b6a9c1144b5feb91530820b70ed8982651c
> dist/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz
> 987f0a91184f98cc3f0a7eccaa42f5054063744d6ac15e325cfa666403214208
> dist/txtorcon-23.5.0-py3-none-any.whl
> EOF
>
> thanks,
> meejah
>> -- >> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list >

*Top-posting? Really?

Actually, a very cursory look through the intarweb would have yielded
this -

https://txtorcon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html

as well as this -

https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon

While there are one or two graphical package managers (yumex and
yumex-dnf that I know of), have a go at the cli manager(s) that may live
on your distro and see if you can get pkg info about it. If you're not
sure which one(s) you have, try these - Yum, Dnf, Rpm,Apt, Apt-Get, Deb,
pacman, dpkg, and zypper for starters. *dpkg is my go-to pkgmgr of choice...

Also, the names of many linux-centric utility plugins, extensions, and
other goodies, while seemingly cryptic, are usually a prominent clue as
to what the package is used for. The world of *NIX has never been for
the faint of heart, but there are lots of very helping hands in its
communities... :)

Jack
Re: txtorcon 23.5.0 [ In reply to ]
> *Top-posting? Really?

In that case, yes, because the conversion did not depend on what was originally said. Unlike this conversation.

> Actually, a very cursory look through the intarweb would have yielded this -

And that’s the point, if you want to me to consider your package, I should have some idea that it’s worth me investing more time into seeing if it can help me. As I mentioned simply stating that it was a “Tor Control management API” would have been enough for me to say “That’s not helpful to me”. On the other hand if it said “Django management API/Tool”, I would have gone to the git repository and investigated.

Effectively, posting a release notification is an advertisement for the package, as well as a notice saying “Here’s some updates”.

When done correctly, it can bring more people to use your package / software…

> While there are one or two graphical package managers (yumex and yumex-dnf that I know of), have a go at the cli manager(s) that may live on your distro and see if you can get pkg info about it. If you're not sure which one(s) you have, try these - Yum, Dnf, Rpm,Apt, Apt-Get, Deb, pacman, dpkg, and zypper for starters. *dpkg is my go-to pkgmgr of choice...
>
> Also, the names of many linux-centric utility plugins, extensions, and other goodies, while seemingly cryptic, are usually a prominent clue as to what the package is used for. The world of *NIX has never been for the faint of heart, but there are lots of very helping hands in its communities... :)

This has nothing to do with package managers, this has to do with “Why should I use this package” or “Should I use this package / software”. If the release notes are being send to people that don’t already have the package then it’s worth the couple of sentences or a short paragraph to allow someone that is unfamiliar with the package to be able to see if they should investigate the package.

Cryptic names maybe cute, but if they are not descriptive, then they are not really that helpful other than being unique.

- Benjamin

Re: txtorcon 23.5.0 [ In reply to ]
On 5/19/23 08:42, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:

>> *Top-posting? Really?
>
> In that case, yes, because the conversion did not depend on what was
> originally said.  Unlike this conversation.
>
>> Actually, a very cursory look through the intarweb would have yielded
>> this -
>
> And that’s the point, if you want to me to consider your package, I
> should have some idea that it’s worth me investing more time into
> seeing if it can help me.  As I mentioned simply stating that it was a
> “Tor Control management API” would have been enough for me to say
> “That’s not helpful to me”.  On the other hand if it said “Django
> management API/Tool”, I would have gone to the git repository and
> investigated.
>
> Effectively, posting a release notification is an *advertisement for
> the package*, as well as a notice saying “*Here’s some updates”.*
> *
> *
> When done correctly, it can bring more people to use your package /
> software…
>
>> While there are one or two graphical package managers (yumex and
>> yumex-dnf that I know of), have a go at the cli manager(s) that may
>> live on your distro and see if you can get pkg info about it. If
>> you're not sure which one(s) you have, try these - Yum, Dnf, Rpm,Apt,
>> Apt-Get, Deb, pacman, dpkg, and zypper for starters. *dpkg is my
>> go-to pkgmgr of choice...
>>
>> Also, the names of many linux-centric utility plugins, extensions,
>> and other goodies, while seemingly cryptic, are usually a prominent
>> clue as to what the package is used for. The world of *NIX has never
>> been for the faint of heart, but there are lots of very helping hands
>> in its communities... :)
>
> This has nothing to do with package managers, this has to do with “Why
> should I use this package” or “Should I use this package / software”.
>  If the release notes are being send to people that don’t already have
> the package then it’s worth the couple of sentences or a short
> paragraph to allow someone that is unfamiliar with the package to be
> able to see if they should investigate the package.
>
> Cryptic names maybe cute, but if they are not descriptive, then they
> are not really that helpful other than being unique.
>
> - Benjamin

Yeah - um - I get the impression that there is so much going on that
either I'm not qualified to respond to it, or I'd have to charge by the
hour to unravel it, I'm just gonna leave this right here...