Is there an alternate path to installing this?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Jack

Re: Tkinter (related)~ [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/23 10:06, Jack Dangler wrote:
> I didn't want to hijack another thread...
>
> I thought the OP of the tkinter thread currently running may have needed
> to install the tkinter package (since I had the same missing component
> error message), so I tried to install the package on to my Ubu laptop -

install python3-tk to get the distro package.

Re: Tkinter (related)~ [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/23 12:33, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 5/18/23 10:06, Jack Dangler wrote:
>> I didn't want to hijack another thread...
>>
>> I thought the OP of the tkinter thread currently running may have
>> needed to install the tkinter package (since I had the same missing
>> component error message), so I tried to install the package on to my
>> Ubu laptop -
>
> install python3-tk to get the distro package.

Thanks, Mats! apt worked... I'll have another run at the original thread
and see where that takes me.
Re: Tkinter (related)~ [ In reply to ]
On 18May2023 12:06, Jack Dangler <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>I thought the OP of the tkinter thread currently running may have
>needed to install the tkinter package (since I had the same missing
>component error message), so I tried to install the package on to my
>Ubu laptop -
>
>pip install tkinter
>Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not
>writeable
>ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tkinter
>(from versions: none)
>ERROR: No matching distribution found for tkinter
>
>Is there an alternate path to installing this?

Usually tkinter ships with Python because it is part of the stdlib.

On some platforms eg Ubuntu Linux the stdlib doesn't come in completely
unless you ask - a lot of stdlib packages are apt things you need to ask
for. On my Ubunut here tkinter comes from python3-tk. So:

$ sudo apt-get install python3-tk

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@cskk.id.au>
Re: Tkinter (related)~ [ In reply to ]
On 2023-05-19, Cameron Simpson <cs@cskk.id.au> wrote:
> On 18May2023 12:06, Jack Dangler <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I thought the OP of the tkinter thread currently running may have
>>needed to install the tkinter package (since I had the same missing
>>component error message), so I tried to install the package on to my
>>Ubu laptop -
>>
>>pip install tkinter
>>Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not
>>writeable
>>ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tkinter
>>(from versions: none)
>>ERROR: No matching distribution found for tkinter
>>
>>Is there an alternate path to installing this?
>
> Usually tkinter ships with Python because it is part of the stdlib.
>
> On some platforms eg Ubuntu Linux the stdlib doesn't come in completely
> unless you ask - a lot of stdlib packages are apt things you need to ask
> for. On my Ubunut here tkinter comes from python3-tk. So:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install python3-tk

And in general, on Linux systems, you'll be better off in the long run
if you use the distro's package manager to install Python packages
instead of using pip. If there is no distro package, you're usually
also better off using 'pip install --user' so that pip isn't messing
about with directories that are normally managed by the distro's
package manager.

When I do have to resort to using pip in install something, I always
do a --dry-run first and make a note of any dependancies that pip is
going to try to install -- so I can install those using the package
manager if possible.

--
Grant

Re: Tkinter (related)~ [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/23 21:11, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2023-05-19, Cameron Simpson <cs@cskk.id.au> wrote:
>> On 18May2023 12:06, Jack Dangler <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought the OP of the tkinter thread currently running may have
>>> needed to install the tkinter package (since I had the same missing
>>> component error message), so I tried to install the package on to my
>>> Ubu laptop -
>>>
>>> pip install tkinter
>>> Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not
>>> writeable
>>> ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tkinter
>>> (from versions: none)
>>> ERROR: No matching distribution found for tkinter
>>>
>>> Is there an alternate path to installing this?
>> Usually tkinter ships with Python because it is part of the stdlib.
>>
>> On some platforms eg Ubuntu Linux the stdlib doesn't come in completely
>> unless you ask - a lot of stdlib packages are apt things you need to ask
>> for. On my Ubunut here tkinter comes from python3-tk. So:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install python3-tk
> And in general, on Linux systems, you'll be better off in the long run
> if you use the distro's package manager to install Python packages
> instead of using pip. If there is no distro package, you're usually
> also better off using 'pip install --user' so that pip isn't messing
> about with directories that are normally managed by the distro's
> package manager.
>
> When I do have to resort to using pip in install something, I always
> do a --dry-run first and make a note of any dependancies that pip is
> going to try to install -- so I can install those using the package
> manager if possible.
>
> --
> Grant

Grant

Great suggestion! I didn't know that --dry-run was available... I'll
have to look at that arg...

Jack