Mailing List Archive

Dataclasses, immutability(?), and ChatGPT
Are dataclasses (or instances thereof) mutable or immutable?
- and in what sense?

Have been experimenting with ChatGPT. In particular: its possibilities
as a trainer, good ideas for methods of introducing new topics, its
capability for drawing-up demonstrations or examples, its interpretation
of assessment questions (ie evaluating my own work, eg do they test
desired specifics, is it possible/likely to misinterpret the question, ...)

Conversed with ChatGPT about the differences between (standard)
custom-classes and dataclasses, and when one might prefer one over the
other.

We(?) started discussing how dataclasses might be introduced to trainees
currently only familiar with Python's built-ins: "...how they are
superior to using built-in data-constructs..."

Amongst the four benefits ChatGPT listed was:
«
Immutable instances: By default, instances of dataclasses are immutable,
which means that once created, their attributes cannot be modified. This
can help to prevent unintended modifications to the data.
»

Huh? If we'd been discussing namedtuples over (say) dictionaries, I'd
perhaps have accepted the reply.

The next step was to write some code to double-check my understanding
(reproduced below). No change there.
(given that I'm perfect...cough, cough, splutter)

Thus, back to ChatGPT to seek clarification:
«
You said "Immutable instances: By default, instances of dataclasses are
immutable, which means that once created, their attributes cannot be
modified. This can help to prevent unintended modifications to the
data." The attribute-values within a data-class can be changed. In what
way are Python dataclasses immutable?
»

ChatGPT did indeed clarify that:
«
You're correct that the attribute values within a dataclass can be
changed, even though the instance itself is considered immutable.
»

That's better. The machine is as smart as I am - or I, as smart as it -
or something(?)

However, the supporting-explanation then appears to argue against its
own clarification (and the assertion in the question):
«
So to clarify, when we say that instances of dataclasses are immutable,
we mean that the attributes of an instance cannot be changed after it is
created.

In other words, if you create an instance of a dataclass, its attributes
cannot be modified by any external code. If you want to change the value
of an attribute, you need to create a new instance of the dataclass with
the updated attribute value.

... [code excised - see below]

This is because the instance is considered immutable, and its attributes
cannot be changed directly. Instead, we need to create a new instance of
the dataclass with the updated attribute value, like this...

Now, new_person is a new instance of the Person dataclass with the
updated attribute values, while the original person instance remains
unchanged.

So to summarize, while the attribute values within a dataclass can be
changed, instances of dataclasses are considered immutable because their
attributes cannot be modified directly once they are created. Any
updates to the attributes require the creation of a new instance of the
dataclass.
»

[Note]
In and amongst the above explanatory-paragraphs it gives example
code-snippets. Those are condensed into:

>>> from dataclasses import dataclass
>>>
>>> @dataclass
... class Person:
... name: str
... age: int
>>> person = Person(name='Alice', age=20)
>>>
>>> person.name = 'Bob' # raises AttributeError: can't set attribute
>>> person.age = 21 # raises AttributeError: can't set attribute

- note the erroneous comments about exceptions being raised
(they weren't/aren't)!

Here's a home-grown version illustrating all the points made during the
investigation, by way of proof/disproof:

""" PythonTraining:dataclass.py
Prove/disprove claim made by Chat-GPT.
"""

__author__ = "dn, IT&T Consultant"
__python__ = "3.11"
__created__ = "PyCharm, 12 Apr 2023"
__copyright__ = "Copyright © 2023~"
__license__ = "MIT"

# PSL
from dataclasses import dataclass

@dataclass
class Coordinates():
"""Sample dataclass. """
x:int
y:int

if __name__ == "__main__":
print( "\nCommencing execution\n" )

coordinates = Coordinates( 1, 2, )
print( coordinates, id( coordinates ), )
coordinates.x = 3
print( coordinates, id( coordinates ), )
coordinates.z = 4
print( coordinates, id( coordinates ), )
print( coordinates.x, coordinates.y, coordinates.z, )

### output:
Commencing execution

Coordinates(x=1, y=2) 140436963150928
Coordinates(x=3, y=2) 140436963150928
Coordinates(x=3, y=2) 140436963150928
3 2 4

Terminating
###

Not only are a dataclass instance's attribute-values mutable, but
further attributes can be dynamically-added to the object-instance!

Yes, if the code included:

coordinates = Coordinates( 5, 6, )

the new "coordinates" identifier would point to a different id()
'address', ie a fresh immutable-instance.

The 'book of words' (https://docs.python.org/3/library/dataclasses.html)
does mention immutability (wrt to dataclasses) in that it is possible to
add a __hash__() method (any object defined with is (technically)
immutable). However, apart from the default_factory argument, there
doesn't appear to be other discussion of [im]mutability.

Anything I've 'missed'?
- or a salutary tale of not depending upon ChatGPT etc?

=dn
Re: Dataclasses, immutability(?), and ChatGPT [ In reply to ]
Op 12/04/2023 om 6:58 schreef dn via Python-list:
> Are dataclasses (or instances thereof) mutable or immutable?
> - and in what sense?
Instances of dataclasses are mutable, just like normal classes.
Dataclasses *are* normal classes, with some extra special methods. They
are totally different from namedtuples, even though the use cases
somewhat overlap. They *can* be immutable, I think, if the programmer
takes care to make them so. I don't think adding __hash__() is enough:
as I understand it's an indication that a class is immutable, but
doesn't actually by itself make it so. "Mutability is a complicated
property that depends on the programmer’s intent, the existence and
behavior of |__eq__()|, and the values of the |eq| and |frozen| flags in
the |dataclass()|
<https://docs.python.org/3.10/library/dataclasses.html#dataclasses.dataclass>
decorator.", says the documentation.
> Amongst the four benefits ChatGPT listed was:
> «
> Immutable instances: By default, instances of dataclasses are
> immutable, which means that once created, their attributes cannot be
> modified. This can help to prevent unintended modifications to the data.
> »
>
> Huh? If we'd been discussing namedtuples over (say) dictionaries, I'd
> perhaps have accepted the reply.
ChatGPT is wrong.
> Anything I've 'missed'?
> - or a salutary tale of not depending upon ChatGPT etc?
You didn't miss anything, ChatGPT is wrong. The thing to look out for is
that when ChatGPT is wrong, it sounds just as convincing as when it's
right; there is no indication in it's tone or style that it's making
things up. Always double check!

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Re: Dataclasses, immutability(?), and ChatGPT [ In reply to ]
On 2023-04-12, Roel Schroeven <roel@roelschroeven.net> wrote:

>> Huh? If we'd been discussing namedtuples over (say) dictionaries, I'd
>> perhaps have accepted the reply.
>
> ChatGPT is wrong.
>
>> Anything I've 'missed'?
>> - or a salutary tale of not depending upon ChatGPT etc?

> You didn't miss anything, ChatGPT is wrong. The thing to look out for is
> that when ChatGPT is wrong, it sounds just as convincing as when it's
> right; there is no indication in it's tone or style that it's making
> things up.

Yep, that's how ChatGPT works. It's a program to generate output
language that sounds right based on a huge training set of
text. Whether that "right sounding" language agrees with real world
facts or not is irrelevent to the language-generating algorithm.

--
Grant

Re: Dataclasses, immutability(?), and ChatGPT [ In reply to ]
On 4/12/2023 12:58 AM, dn via Python-list wrote:
> [...]
> 3 2 4
>
> Terminating
> ###
>
> Not only are a dataclass instance's attribute-values mutable, but
> further attributes can be dynamically-added to the object-instance!
>
> Yes, if the code included:
>
> coordinates = Coordinates( 5, 6, )
>
> the new "coordinates" identifier would point to a different id()
> 'address', ie a fresh immutable-instance.
>

> The 'book of words' (https://docs.python.org/3/library/dataclasses.html)
> does mention immutability (wrt to dataclasses) in that it is possible to
> add a __hash__() method (any object defined with is (technically)
> immutable). However, apart from the default_factory argument, there
> doesn't appear to be other discussion of [im]mutability.
>

> Anything I've 'missed'?
> - or a salutary tale of not depending upon ChatGPT etc?

People need to remember that ChatGPT-like systems put words together the
way that many humans usually do. So what they emit usually sounds
smooth and human-like. If it's code they emit, it will tend to seem
plausible because lines of code are basically sentences, and learning
how to construct plausible sentences is what these systems are built to
do. That's **plausible**, not "logical" or "correct".

The vast size of these systems means that they can include a larger
context in figuring out what words to place next compared with earlier,
smaller systems.

But consider: what if you wrote code as a stream-of-consciousness
process? That code might seem plausible, but why would you have any
confidence in it? Or to put it another way, what if most of ChatGPT's
exposure to code came from StackOverflow archives?

On top of that, ChapGPT-like systems do not know your requirements nor
the reasons behind your requests. They only know that when other people
put words and phrases together like you did, they tended to make
cargo-culting its responses.

Apparently researchers have been learning that the more parameters that
a system like this has, the more likely it is to learn how to emit
ultimate yes-man!

So there is some probability that the system will tell you interesting
or useful things, some probability that it will try to tell you what it
thinks you want hear, some probability that it will tell you incorrect
things that other people have repeated, and some probability that it
will perseverate - simply make things up.

If I were going to write a novel about an alternate history, I think
that a chatGPT-like system would be a fantastic writing assistant.
Code? Not so much.